• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pegguilfoyle

pegguilfoyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hi... new user here with question.  Thanks in advance for any light you can cast.   When I scan and load in an old document (census records or bank documents or whatever),  I seem to only get an image of the whole page (which I do want)  but I can't zoom in to the relevant lines to read the (often tiny and difficult) handwriting.   Also can't figure a way to provide a close-up shot of a portion of the page (such as wanting a record of a person's signature).    Is there a way to do that work inside Rootsmagic?   Or does it need to be done outside Rootsmagic instead?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

I have not scanned in anything with RootsMagic's own tools in years because they were so limited. Currently, you have to have separate image files for the whole document and any parts thereof.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:30 PM

The zoom tool is very simple in RootsMagic. Its a little slider bar under Properties in the Media Album. It won't snip or stay at that level. That would need to be done outside of RootsMagic. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

I recommend loading all images into RM as files instead of images unless they are photographs that you wish to be printed in RM reports. By loading images into RM as files, they will open in a viewer which is the operating system default for files of that type which will probably be a much better viewer than the built in RM viewer.

Jerry

#5 geomouchet

geomouchet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

I scan with my scanner's tool.  Make sure the resolution is high enough.  I prefer 300 DPI, but I would say never go less than 200 DPI.

#6 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

I recommend loading all images into RM as files instead of images unless they are photographs that you wish to be printed in RM reports. By loading images into RM as files, they will open in a viewer which is the operating system default for files of that type which will probably be a much better viewer than the built in RM viewer.

Jerry

I'd like to do this but have already created the monster.  Not sure if it is worth it to go back and change everything already entered.

The default option when adding media seems to be "image".  Is there a way to change that to "file" or do you have to click there to change each time? 

thanks, Bev

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

The default option when adding media seems to be "image".  Is there a way to change that to "file" or do you have to click there to change each time? 

thanks, Bev

Not within the RM app. A SQLite query on the database could the type to "file". See Media Type Reset. With a minor change, that script could assign "file" to all "image" types.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

Not within the RM app. A SQLite query on the database could the type to "file". See Media Type Reset. With a minor change, that script could assign "file" to all "image" types.

Thank you Tom

Bev