16 replies to this topic

#1 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

Seems if I make a wall chart with about 4 generations things are fine. If I go to 6, the output gets confused and mixes up marriages and children. If I go back to 4, I'm all good with the output. Total size is about 250 people. 

I haven't seen recent posts on this. Can anyone offer any help?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

I've made a lot of wall charts over the years, and never noticed a problem with "mixed up marriages".  I would suspect a problem in your database links. Or, there may not be a problem, it's just that the ancestor charts will only show ONE set of parents. Adoptions and step-parents could be the issue you're perceiving as a "mix up".  RM Chart displays the last parent relationships displayed in RM's main views (Pedigree and Family, especially). To control what RM Chart displays, you must first go through and display the parent relationships that you want to be charted.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7949 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

I haven't seen this either. You might want to run the File>Database Tools, all options in consecutive order to rule out corruption in the file.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

Interesting. Glad no one else is having this problem. Would be great if it's something I'm doing wrong. Where can I get support for this Renee?

John

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7949 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

You can open a support ticket using the link below. Include a backup of your database and  the start person and settings so we can test what is happening. 

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Renee,

It looks like the issue is that when the chart is larger, several lines connecting people are generated on top of other lines connecting other people. Happy to do a screen shot, but I think you get what I'm saying. What's the best way to deal with this?

John

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:21 AM

I just ran an Ancestor Wall Chart that I thought might reveal a problem like you describe. I have a couple in my RM database that the Relationship Calculator shows with 49 relationships, between 9th and 13th cousins. I created a chart for one of their children for 16 generations, and inspected it for crossed lines. None found.

I think you should open a support ticket. Include a backup of your database, and tell support which individual and how many generations to create so they can review the problem.

#8 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:19 PM

I'm cool with the support ticket, but since the chart generates properly when I start a couple generations down, it doesn't seem that there is a problem with the data. Again, when I print all the generations, the lines that connect the boxes are generated on top of one another. This makes it look like all 5 children are parents of all of their collective offspring. Should I be setting a template size before I run the chart?

Update:

Can't submit a support ticket with file over 7MB. I'm almost 10MB.

#9 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

Are you creating an Ancestor chart or a Descendants chart?

#10 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

Descendant chart, bottom to top.

#11 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

OK so I ran another test. Descendant Wall Chart, top to bottom, starting from the parents (1600-1650) of my first surname-ancestor in Canada and spanning 6 generations. Over 4700 individuals, the chart is over 5700 inches wide. I haven't inspected every square inch, but I have looked through a large chunk of the 6th generation (roughly 1900-2000) and didn't find any crossed lines. There are places where groups of children are butted up adjacent to other groups of children, but there's no line connecting them. Because the line weight is pretty thin, it can be tricky to read carefully - perhaps bumping up the line weight would be helpful, but I can't find an option to control that. There is an option to control box spacing, and maybe you could try adjusting that value larger. 

If none of that helps, consider submitting a support ticket....

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7949 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

When you open the support ticket request the link to upload your file.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Dan Yaklin

Dan Yaklin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

I have a large descendant wall chart and am having the same problem with lines crossing. The result is you cannot tell who parents and children are connected to.

#14 rrh7254

rrh7254

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

I too am having the exact same problem when running Wall Charts, with options: Descendant Chart, 6 generations, bottom to top (which for reasons I don't understand generates oldest ancestor on top to youngest descendant on bottom).

My Version info is 7.5.6.0 running on MacOS 10.13.4.

My database is rather small  (53 people) and all linkages appear to be correct.  Box size and spacing is the default.

Upon generation of the chart, the horizontal connectors for different descending families cross on top of each other making it appear like many children belong to more than one set of parents.  Moving the child boxes around will however reveal that they really are just connected to one set of parents.  But it takes a lot of playing and shifting to figure out how to properly isolate the proper family groups (and that's only with a small tree).  It would seem near impossible should this happen on a larger tree (not clear there would be enough "sheet size" to make the placements).

The problem is clearly that, for some users, the box placement on the wall chart is improperly being calculated in a way that horizontal connectors (across children) for one family overlap the horizontal connectors for the children of an adjacent family on the same generational level.

I also observe other box placement issues which may relate to the same positioning problem.   For example, I observe the children for one family (let's call it the "center" family) are shifted so far left that they are more aligned under the adjacent parents on the left, and likewise, the children for the adjacent parents that fall to the right of the "Center family" are more aligned under this "center" family.  I think it's this shifting that then generates extra long horizontal connectors which now overlap each other.

-- regards,

-- Randy

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7949 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

Confirming this issue has been reported to development.

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Tim Cole

Tim Cole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

Is this related?

When I try to generate a pedigree chart for 10 generations I get an error message:  "List index out of bounds(0)".  I can generate one anywhere from 1 to 7 generations, but anything over that gives me an error.

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7949 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Is that a ancestor wall chart or a cascading pedigree chart?

Renee
RootsMagic