11 replies to this topic

#1 edmnottm

edmnottm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

I am new to RM having been with FTM. I am a subscriber to both Ancestry and Find My Past and very pleased at the link-up with FMP.

However, when clicking on the "light bulb" for FMP, arriving at the FMP site and accepting the record/s found I can find no record of these records from FMP in RM. 

Any help, advice or information would be appreciated.

I am using RM for Mac v.7.0.1

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

The only thing that will show in RootsMagic is if you confirmed or rejected all the hints. The light bulb will go from yellow to white. When you click on the bulb you will see the status of the hint counts. Findmypast doesn't have the ability in their API to move data between RM and their website. They may in the future. For now you need to manually add any information you find to RootsMagic.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

More generally, WebHints do not bring any data back into RM for any of the WebHints partners. All you get is a light bulb that is a link you can click on to to see the data at the partner site. If you like the data you see, you can bring the data back manually by typing it into RM.

WebHints are not stored in RM. Any data that is stored about a WebHint is stored at the partner site. For example, you cannot search in your RM database for individuals with WebHints, you cannot color code individuals in your RM database who have WebHints, and you cannot make a group in RM based in individuals who have WebHints. All you can do is to display a person in one of the RM views and wait a few seconds to see if a light bulb appears. If a light bulb appears, you can click on the light bulb. But there is no way to know in advance if a light bulb is going to appear or not. The RM views that support the light bulbs are Pedigree View, Family View, and Descendant View.

The only automated feature of WebHints is for the FamilySearch Family Tree site. For that site, RM has an option called Match person to FamilySearch when hints found. RM has a partially automated way to move data back and forth between your RM database and the FSFT community tree. RM facilitates the movement of data back and forth between RM and FSFT in the sense that you don't have to type it in again, but you still have to specify exactly which data is to be moved back and forth. Before data can be moved back and forth in this manner, an individual in your RM database must be matched to an individual in FSFT. Enabling the Match person to FamilySearch when hints found option will facilitate the matching process. There are other ways to do matching between RM and FSFT, but WebHints can sometimes make the matching process easier.

Jerry

#4 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

More generally, WebHints do not bring any data back into RM for any of the WebHints partners. All you get is a light bulb that is a link you can click on to to see the data at the partner site. If you like the data you see, you can bring the data back manually by typing it into RM.

WebHints are not stored in RM. Any data that is stored about a WebHint is stored at the partner site. For example, you cannot search in your RM database for individuals with WebHints, you cannot color code individuals in your RM database who have WebHints, and you cannot make a group in RM based in individuals who have WebHints. All you can do is to display a person in one of the RM views and wait a few seconds to see if a light bulb appears. If a light bulb appears, you can click on the light bulb. But there is no way to know in advance if a light bulb is going to appear or not. The RM views that support the light bulbs are Pedigree View, Family View, and Descendant View.

The only automated feature of WebHints is for the FamilySearch Family Tree site. For that site, RM has an option called Match person to FamilySearch when hints found. RM has a partially automated way to move data back and forth between your RM database and the FSFT community tree. RM facilitates the movement of data back and forth between RM and FSFT in the sense that you don't have to type it in again, but you still have to specify exactly which data is to be moved back and forth. Before data can be moved back and forth in this manner, an individual in your RM database must be matched to an individual in FSFT. Enabling the Match person to FamilySearch when hints found option will facilitate the matching process. There are other ways to do matching between RM and FSFT, but WebHints can sometimes make the matching process easier.

Jerry

When I click on Findmypast in WebHints for an individual I can see no way of Accepting or Rejecting any Pending hint. If I manually put the data shown into the individual's RootsMagic record will the Pending hint change into an Accepted one? I must be missing an obvious way to do this, I think.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

For the Findmypast website you need to click on the Hint and then the option to Accept or Reject is available. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

For the Findmypast website you need to click on the Hint and then the option to Accept or Reject is available. 

http://www.findmypas...1bbb3&_k=w049cc

This is an example of the results I get Renee, & the websites never finishes loading.

#7 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:12 AM

http://www.findmypas...1bbb3&_k=w049cc

This is an example of the results I get Renee, & the websites never finishes loading.

That's because you have to be logged in to the FindMyPast Website to go any further with viewing matches and accepting/rejecting the 'Hints'.  The message at the top indicates that you aren't logged in to the site so it is not linking to your FindMyPast Account.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#8 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:50 AM

That's because you have to be logged in to the FindMyPast Website to go any further with viewing matches and accepting/rejecting the 'Hints'.  The message at the top indicates that you aren't logged in to the site so it is not linking to your FindMyPast Account.

I am logged in to the Findmypast website. I can click on any of the hints & the record itself opens. Can anyone post a link to a website which shows the accept/reject option? Is the option on the first (findmypast in association with RootsMagic) web page which opens after clicking on the hints in RootsMagic & lists the records which can be reviewed, or is the option in the second web page which opens after clicking on one of the records shown in the first web page & which shows the details of that record?

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:37 AM

Click on the Review button for one of the hints to see the transcription and scroll to the bottom to choose Accept or Reject.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

Click on the Review button for one of the hints to see the transcription and scroll to the bottom to choose Accept or Reject.

Thank you TomH. I scrolled down as described & saw only the very top of a blue-coloured bar. I have now moved the taskbar to the side of my monitor screen & the blue options bar is shown fully. Sorry not to have seen this before. Thank you to all who responded to my query. Apologies,

Allan.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

Are you using Chrome? I often have a problem with the auto-disappearing task bar either refusing to pop up or not going down as it should, thus masking off part of the browser window. Only with Chrome, I think. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

Are you using Chrome? I often have a problem with the auto-disappearing task bar either refusing to pop up or not going down as it should, thus masking off part of the browser window. Only with Chrome, I think. 

Yes, I am using Chrome.