• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 rrh7254

rrh7254

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

Zhangrau, I like that, it's nice and clean.  But you got me wondering, would it be possible to create 3 fact types which I will call

Alt Name (Begin)

Alt Name (Continued)

Alt Name (End)

with respective sentence structures

[person] was also known as [ [Desc]< [Date]>

,  [Desc]< [Date]>

and  [Desc]< [Date]>.

to generate a singular extended sentence of aka names?  (so you don't keep repeating the "Sarah was also known as" over and over.)

I think the sources would mark properly in a narrative report, but I am just a few weeks into learning RM and am not sure what other negative ramifications there might be.

Also, might it be possible to embed the separator strings "----" and "====" into the sentence structures for Alt Name (Begin) and Alt Name (End) respectively to save adding the extra seperator "facts".  I know it wouldn't show on the person's edit screen, but I would really only need those separators to show in my reports.  I know you can put any text into a fact sentence, but I'm not sure how you would embed a <carriage return> or <new line> command.  Is that even possible with RM?

-- regards,

-- Randy

#22 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

.... but I'm not sure how you would embed a <carriage return> or <new line> command.

RM's sentence templates can contain a new line. The new line is stored in the RM database as two characters - a carriage return followed by a line feed - CTL-M followed by CTL-J (or 0X0d0a, if you prefer). But the way you enter such a two character sequence is very simple. Just depress the Enter key on your PC's keyboard a single time. The carriage return and line feed sequence will be invisible on your RM screen, but the effect will be visible because you can see that the template has advanced to the next line.

Jerry

#23 rrh7254

rrh7254

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Jerry!    I'm an experienced genealogist who is trying to make the jump from TMG.  I've watched most of the basic RM Webinars, read the RM book, and spent hours going through the forums, yet every time I sit down to actually work on my data, I immediately find my self saying "I'm not sure how to do that" or at least "how best to do that".  As they say, the devil is in the details.  And there are many details in RM I have yet to learn. (I wish there was an "advanced" RM book covering "best practices").   But I am very grateful that all you RM "pros" are willing to help guide us RM newbies.  Again, thanks!

-- regards,

-- Randy

#24 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

That's a clever approach. Another factor to consider... These custom "Alt Name (xxx)" fact types will not be Name-type facts; instead, they will be Event-type facts. They will not show up in the Sidebar Index, report Indexes, nor can they be searched or filtered as Names. You cannot create a custom Name-type fact type.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#25 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

Alternate Names do not appear in the Name Index of narrative reports.

RM_name-index-settings.png

#26 rrh7254

rrh7254

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

That's a clever approach. Another factor to consider... These custom "Alt Name (xxx)" fact types will not be Name-type facts; instead, they will be Event-type facts. They will not show up in the Sidebar Index, report Indexes, nor can they be searched or filtered as Names. You cannot create a custom Name-type fact type.

Oh, that's too bad!  That really limits the value  of creating an "alt Name (xxx)" fact of any kind.

-- regards,

-- Randy