Photo

Help needed. My family tree was created in Family Tree Legends and needs importing into Roots Magic.

family tree legends .ftl

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 familytree54321

familytree54321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Excuse me if this is the wrong forum, but as a new member would ask the moderator to put it into the correct forum.
This is Not a bug or Issue with Roots Magic, but how to import into Roots an ftl file.

My problem is this, my laptop failed and my new one is Windows 10 and the Family Tree Legend software is not compatible with Windows 10, therefore I can no longer open my Family Tree.

Fortunately I have a backup of my tree which as many of you know has the file extension .ftl but as I cannot use the Family Tree Legends software I am unable to export it into a format compatible with Roots Magic, I am stuck and really do not want to completely start all over again.

Therefore I wonder if any kind person has Family Tree Legends and would be willing to use a copy of the backup of my tree that I could provide and put it into a file format compatible with Roots.
I am not too sure but guess possibly a gedcom format, but I honestly don't know and leave it to expertese.

Just to confirm my Operating system is Windows 10, and I have Roots Magic Essentials version 7, which is the Free Version.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me with this.

Many thanks

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

FTL appears to be downloadable from CNET and a serial number is provided to unlock it. Someone with an older version of Windows might be able to get it to run. http://download.cnet...4-10168652.html

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:53 PM

And Tamura Jones wrote this about getting FTL to function in Vista and it may yet be applicable to Win10:

On Windows Vistas, installation succeeds, but the application fails to run, because it cannot find MSVCP60.dll, the Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 runtime library. That run-time library should have been included with the application. This DLL and other DLLs many applications needs can be downloaded from several sites. If you copy MSVCP60.dll into the Family Tree Legends program directory, it starts just fine.

http://www.tamurajon...ySoftware.xhtml

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 familytree54321

familytree54321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far I will look into it and update appropriately. Any more advice welcome or assistance offered in swapping format appreciated.
Thanks

#5 familytree54321

familytree54321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

I have tried the suggested fix copying the dll file into the FTL program and when trying to open FTL it still gives the same message. I removed the FTL program and downloaded again, rebooted and copied dll into program and again begins to launch program giving the initial splashs screen and fails to open.
Just does not seem to work with Windows 10.
My Tree was originally created in Windows XP.

Is there any other availablr free downloads that would open an FTL Tree that is a .ftl
file extension and be able to save into a Roots Magic Essentials v7 the free version available download available and
I have a tree that I don't have to build from the beginning.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

The free MyHeritage desktop application Family Tree Builder appears to import FTL files. MyHeritage bought out Pearl Software almost a decade ago and wants you to subscribe and sync online with FTB. However, RM does not import directly from FTB so you would have to export a GEDCOM from FTB.

#7 Taoh

Taoh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

Hi

If you haven't solved this problem, I can probably help as I do have Family Tree Builder as I do all the conversion work for my local family history Society A.N.E.S.F.H.S. and I have a copy of most of the current FHS program and some of the older ones (both Windows & Mac). and I'm happy to help anyone who has conversion problems.

#8 familytree54321

familytree54321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:44 AM

Hi Taoh,
Thank you for your reply and advice in youe reply to my post about Family Tree Legends.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you about your message in my Topic.
I hope you don't mind me sending you a direct PM without you asking but I did this as you offered to help and I am sure you will not mind.

Taoh,
Thank you for your reply and offer of help. I have sent you a direct PM with information.

I have downloaded and installed the RM Essentials V7 free edition, and used a gedcom created from my Genes Re-United tree to get a working tree in RM to get used to the software.on my Windows 10 laptop. Naturally the gedcom didn't carry media but I am sorting that and presume the FTL gedcom will merge in maybe.

I hope you have a working copy of Family Tree Legends and would consider creating a gedcom for me using it if I sent you the relevant .ftl Family Tree Legends file.

Hope to hear from you.
Thanks