• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RWagner245

RWagner245

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

When I create a narrative report of ancestors, the text created is all consistently Times New Roman, 10 pt.  When I choose to save the report in rtf format and the report opens in Word 2010, the main body of the report is still in Times New Roman but all of the notes have changed to the Arial font, 11 pt.  Is this a bug and is there an easy way to change the font/size of the notes back to match the rest of the text?

I have opened the rtf file in both Word 2010 and WordPerfect X6 and the formatting appears the same.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8722 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

In the Narrative Report setting click on Fonts and check that its set to Times New Roman, 10 pt.

Then under Tools>Program Options>Display check that your notes are Times New Roman, 10 pt.

I would think the narrative report font setting would over-ride the notes display in the program settings. So we need to see where the difference is. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:01 AM

I'm likely to shed more confusion than clarity on this issue with this note, but let me throw it out there anyway. When working with Microsoft Word, you can specify fonts in a very direct fashion (highlight some text and specify a font and a point size) or you can specify fonts and point sizes in a more indirect fashion by using styles. I understand quite well how styles work in some publishing environments (e.g., HTML and TeX), but I have to confess that my understanding of styles and Microsoft Word is lacking. I have had trouble figuring out how styles work in Microsoft Word, and I have had trouble finding good tutorials and help files about how styles work in Microsoft Word.

I bring all this up because RTF files produced by RM seem to be more oriented towards specifying fonts and point sizes indirectly via styles than directly via fonts and point sizes. So you may need to look at how styles are being used in your RTF document, assuming you have more luck than me in figuring out how Microsoft Word (or WordPerfect X6) deals with styles. Ideally, Renee's suggestions will solve your problems and you won't even have to deal with styles. But if Renee's suggestions don't solve your problems then styles are something you might want to look at.

Here's one more thing on Microsoft Word and styles. I nearly always do some post processing of RTF files produced by RM to clean things up a bit. After having done so, I have to rebuild the indexes so that the pagination in the indexes is correct. My issue of needing to deal with Microsoft Word's styles sees to be more significant after rebuilding the indexes than it is before rebuilding the indexes. I wish I could be more complete and accurate with my comments about styles, but so far the score on styles is Microsoft Word 1, Jerry 0.

Jerry

#4 RWagner245

RWagner245

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

I tried changing the screen font for notes and the Reports Narrative font to Times New Roman, 11 pt in RM7.  It still shows up as Arial, 11 pt in the rtf file when it opens in Word 2010 even though everything looks to be Times New Roman, 11 pt in the viewer prior to saving it as rtf and reopening it in Word.  Also, I cannot find a style in Word 2010 which is applied to the notes, so I cannot modify the style in Word.

#5 RWagner245

RWagner245

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

Well, I opened the rtf file in Notepad and looked at the codes.  All of the notes which appeared in Arial 11 pt started with the code \plain\fs22.  I found that the code used for narrative text was \plain\s8\li0\fi0\ri0\sb0\sa0\ql\vertalt\f3\fs22.  So I did a simple replace using Notepad and all of the notes magically changed to Times New Roman, 11 pt as desired (i.e. in Word 2010).  Without this change, the notes appeared in Arial which was the default font (in the rtf header) for headers, footers and narrative headings.  It seems as if the full encoding string \plain\s8\li0\fi0\ri0\sb0\sa0\ql\vertalt\f3\fs22 is needed to switch back to Times New Roman.  Not exactly optimal but it works until this" feature" is fixed.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

Also, I cannot find a style in Word 2010 which is applied to the notes, so I cannot modify the style in Word.

This problem sounds very familiar. I have run into many similar problems before, but I have not run into this exact problem before. It ought to be easy to work with styles in Word, but for whatever reason reason I keep running into one stumbling block after another.

Jerry