source templates URL colon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mgbaird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

I notice that in source templates and in their output in a bibliography or notes that there is a space between the URL and the following colon. For example, in the template for an online census source template we see: [website]([URL] : <[AccessType]. The output looks like   http://www.findagrave.com/2009 : 2015. Is the space between 2009 and the colon in this case the way it should be? I could not find any reference to this situation on-line. Creates a problem when spell checking a narrative report in .rtf using WORD. WORD always indicates this as an error.

#2 TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5659 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

Whenever I include a URL in an email or message or posting, I always separate the following punctuation from it with white space, either a space character or new line. That allows the displaying software to convert it into a hyperlink and makes it easier for a user to copy and paste it into a browser.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.