• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wxman

wxman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:57 AM

When you run a manual backup of a large tree (File>Backup), including media, no dialog box shows the progress of the backup while it runs. I have a fairly fast computer, and it took long enough that I first thought the program froze. I also saw that it didn't even give me a "backup completed" dialog box when it was done.
If somebody has a older, slower system, with loads of large media files, a backup could take a while. It could get to the point that you wonder if the program crashed and locked up. That's where the confirmation, or progress is needed.

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

There actually is what appears to be a confirmation message when the backup is completed. It happens so fast that it's impossible to read and needs a 1-2 second delay to facilitate reading.

#3 wxman

wxman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:37 PM

I thought I saw that "flash" once. It really needs to be something that the user has to click so we know it finished the backup. A better thing would be to also include a progress bar.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

RM used to have a window appear after the backup completed that needed to be clicked on before closing. We had people ask for it to just close. I am confirming that the progress bar is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 wxman

wxman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

Yes, I think a progress bar would be helpful. There is no way to know if the backup is done, or if the program has locked up.