104 replies to this topic

#101 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:15 AM

There were simply issues that mean we have to create a new video and development does not want to stop right now to create one.

Project glich...really! Funny that has not been mentioned before...by someone who visited your booth at Tech or on the FB page as reason for no appearance after Tech...anywhere...or a customer who saw it...or .....

RM has had a very loyal customer base up to the last few months, but the real glitches with performance for a large portion of your customer base is weakening that support and understandably. For most, reliability and stability are critical components.

The living people problem was mentioned on Facebook and I would prefer development kept their heads down at the task in hand rather than producing a tease video to satisfy curiosity.

I really wish the best for the future of Rootsmagic and they will always have some base of loyal immovable customers. However the gap between Rootsmagic and other software offerings has widened in my opinion and therefore the challenges have become quite steep. I believe this version release is crucial to the future direction of the product and I do hope they get it right, the wish list is full of ideas and feedback from experienced users. I also hope Rootsmagic maintain a constant and frequent development focus in the future to strengthen the position and reviews of the product.

Whilst the list is not endless glitches with performance like the index problem needing database tools, the inability to easily report some simple needs and geocoding difficulties resulting in the repeated “how do I?” posts on Facebook should have been eradicated years ago. Many of these issues are simple to resolve and should have been, the fact they were not detracts from an otherwise good, although dated, product. Anyone reading the Facebook group for the first time would not be impressed by the constant and repeated post of user difficulties, confusion and work arounds.

After 20+ years with the company I am awaiting the release of RM8 (in no rush) and another program also due an upgrade. So this year I must make the choice of the most productive way forward for my research and I do still hope that product will be Rootsmagic.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#102 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

It would be much better for RM to delay the release until after Legacy 10

It would *NOT* be better to delay the release of RM8 and finally have a useable native Mac program.

#103 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:27 PM

It would be much better for RM to delay the release until after Legacy 10,

What about Family Historian V7?, where do you stop

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#104 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

It would be much better for RM to delay the release until after Legacy 10,

I would go even further in the opposite direction. I think it's so important to get RM8 out the door that it should be shipped with fewer than planned new features if that would get it out the door faster. Of course it shouldn't be shipped until it's been well tested and it shouldn't be shipped with no new features. But from a user's perspective, essentially all RM progress is at a standstill until RM8 ships.

Jerry

#105 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:40 AM

I would go even further in the opposite direction. I think it's so important to get RM8 out the door that it should be shipped with fewer than planned new features if that would get it out the door faster. Of course it shouldn't be shipped until it's been well tested and it shouldn't be shipped with no new features. But from a user's perspective, essentially all RM progress is at a standstill until RM8 ships.

Jerry

I admire your faith Jerry but sadly don't share it. Fifteen years ago I would have been completely onboard but so many simple gaps since the release of RM4 never having been closed or fulfilled my faith is damaged and I have become very skeptical of development goals and deliverables.

Your logic would be perfect for a development strategy especially for Mac users but would require a long term commitment from Rootsmagic to iron out the bugs, complete the planned feature list and not get lazy and be tempted to hold back some planned features for RM9 if such a version ever becomes a reality.

All just my opinion.

Root