104 replies to this topic

#81 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6298 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

Regardless of how well it's cooked, I expect it will be released by November 30 at the latest. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#82 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:03 AM

I'm sure that the RootsMagic developers aren't sitting on any completed software update, as that would be a recipe for business suicide, as would be the release of an 'Upgrade' with any significant known problems/issues/inadequately tested features. Patience should be the watchword; and be aware of the significant risk of being an early adopter of any completely re-written software if you value your existing data. Keep plenty of backups!

Consume a half-baked pie and all you are likely to get is severe belly-ache. Witness the impact on end users and the controversy of faulty Windows 10 and/or MacOS updates and how many developers/testers Microsoft and Apple employ in comparison with the much smaller software organisations that produce genealogy software, or indeed any other software applications.

Yes, obviously, to backups!
I paid for RootsBridge to encourage a (usable) native Mac version four years ago! Patience is one thing...
RM7 is now quite long in the tooth. While it has a lot of great features that I find missing in Reunion (my primary program), the edge from those developments has eroded as other programs continue to upgrade while RM hasn't. 

#83 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:05 AM

RootsTech

I didn't make it this year, but there were reports that RootsMagic was going to be showing a demo of the new version today. Did that happen? If so, what has been announced as far as changes and features, etc.? Did they show a working native Mac version?!

Thanks

#84 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:56 AM

I am also anxious for news from the RM8 demo at RootsTech. I hope the demo will be (or was) recorded and that it will be online somewhere.

I hate to sound negative, but I didn't find the following teaser from the RM blogs to be very encouraging. "Stop by our booth to see a special preview of our amazing new release- RootsMagic 8 (coming soon)!". This sounds like more glitz to me. Rather than "amazing", I would like to hear descriptions like "solid", "reliable", "useful", "practical", "meets user's needs", etc.

Jerry

#85 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

I'm at the point where I can't understand some of the secrecy surrounding RM8 as in far too many ways they will only be catching up with the competition and not breaking a lot of new ground imo.

Take mapping and geocoding for example, Rootsmagic are well behind the competition and if there is a major makeover behind the scenes I would leak / tease that now to keep frustrated long time users on board and not looking elsewhere. The same goes for other features where ip and showing what RM8 features have been greatly improved is again only coming up to the standards available elsewhere so not a risk of plagiarism

I would expect Rootsmagic to show improvements to mapping, reporting and filtering and withhold any new ground breaking features not already available in competitor software. I find a lot of users getting a little tired and frustrated of the ongoing lack of news and therefore looking around for other software that fills their needs.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#86 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

Seems like everyone is growing very excited. I just want to click less and save my mouse. :-)

#87 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

I'm at the point where I can't understand some of the secrecy surrounding RM8 as in far too many ways they will only be catching up with the competition and not breaking a lot of new ground imo.

I completely understand the secrecy. RootsMagic is competing against companies like MyHeritage and their new acquisition Legacy. It would be much better for RM to delay the release until after Legacy 10, but that's also not such a good idea at the same time. I suppose it depends on how much MyHeritage supports Legacy. Their previous efforts are pretty abysmal on the desktop (Family Tree Builder).

#88 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:17 AM

I completely understand the secrecy. RootsMagic is competing against companies like MyHeritage and their new acquisition Legacy. It would be much better for RM to delay the release until after Legacy 10, but that's also not such a good idea at the same time. I suppose it depends on how much MyHeritage supports Legacy. Their previous efforts are pretty abysmal on the desktop (Family Tree Builder).

I will make an analogy using a vehicle. I have always driven BrandX and been very happy with it, however all my friends’ vehicles have Bluetooth and GPS and they are very useful features. However BrandX is remaining very tight lipped about the upcoming new model and I need to make a choice, if they simply stated the new model would have Bluetooth and GPS I would be more than happy to wait, I would never expect them to disclose trade secrets but I need to make my choices now.

So with Rootsmagic being 7+ years out of step with the competition in regards to displaying live associations to Places and interacting with an embedded map in terms of geocoding and many other respects I believe declaring those gaps will be closed is beneficial to securing customer loyalty and not harmful as regards giving the competition any edge.

This video compared Rootsmagic to FTM2012 in that respect, LFT and FH also have well rounded features in this respect, I don't see the need for Rootsmagic to remain secret about the fact they are simply going to close these gaps, any tasty new innovative features can be kept under wraps until release.

I am in complete agreement with regards to less clicks, less window navigation and more information available on a flatter interface.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#89 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6298 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

You'd think that, by now, somebody would have posted here or on the fb group something of what they saw of the RM8 demo in the Demo Hall on Thursday or the preview at the booth since Wednesday evening. Did they have to sign an NDA? Whether truly "amazing" or "disappointing", you'd think there would be a reaction.  

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#90 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

Tom, it is strangely silent at the Facebook group.

In case anyone missed it, the sale ends today: http://rootsmagic.com/rootstech

RootsMagic 7 Software Download + RootsMagic 7 eBook + RootsMagic 8 Download (when released) for $20.00 ($45 value). 

I was told that since I already have version 7, if I want to upgrade to 8 when it comes out, the cost later will be more that the upgrade price in past upgrades (more than $19.95). So getting another license for version 7 with free upgrade to version 8 for $20 seems like a good deal. Assuming version 8 will be really great and a must have! :-) 

~ Debbie

#91 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

You'd think that, by now, somebody would have posted here or on the fb group something of what they saw of the RM8 demo in the Demo Hall on Thursday or the preview at the booth since Wednesday evening. Did they have to sign an NDA? Whether truly "amazing" or "disappointing", you'd think there would be a reaction.  

I thought I had read a comment from Michael Booth mentioning "3 days" but maybe it is gone of edited, I can only find the "stay tuned" comment now. I did expect something this weekend but maybe with everything else going on that has just now been possible.

Root

#92 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

Well, a commenter on the blog post mentioned seeing the presentation, but gave no details!  Hopefully, some will come out soon.

#93 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:08 AM

Well, a commenter on the blog post mentioned seeing the presentation, but gave no details!  Hopefully, some will come out soon.

I would have thought the sneak peek would have been prepared in advance and recorded to prevent accidental of disclosures of features being held for full release. If so I don't see any reason this sneak peak has not been published especially to create some initial discussion and opinions from past loyal users and cement some future loyalty for those looking around for a research tool for the future.

Root

#94 Less

Less

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Still nothing? Nothing on twitter, no "coming soon" screenshots or teasers from a marketing perspective to get people excited. No chatter from anyone who might have seen the sneak peek at RootsTech. Nothing at all. The silence really is a concern.

Leslie
Houston, TX
desktop: Family Tree Edge -> TMG -> RM

web: Wordpress + TNG + ZenPhoto 

#95 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6298 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

There's been one eyewitness report in the fb group of a canned video demo from which the main takeaway is a flattened, non-modal UI (or fewer modal screens). The live demo apparently didn't come off, due to a failed projector...

#96 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

There's been one eyewitness report in the fb group of a canned video demo from which the main takeaway is a flattened, non-modal UI (or fewer modal screens). The live demo apparently didn't come off, due to a failed projector...

Very unfortunate to hear this about the live demo. Makes me think of the word..backups!

#97 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

Still nothing? Nothing on twitter, no "coming soon" screenshots or teasers from a marketing perspective to get people excited. No chatter from anyone who might have seen the sneak peek at RootsTech. Nothing at all. The silence really is a concern.

This! If RM is going to advertise a demo at RootsTech, that demo should be online by now.

#98 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

I'm beginning to think the silence is telling me one of two things:

1. Everyone who went into the Demo Theater had to sign a non-disclosure agreement...

or

2. What they saw, after all this time of making basic suggestions for improvements, not new features, was so ho hum.....

I will wait to see what actually does come about, but if Gramps had Citation Templates at this time, I would already be gone.

#99 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8553 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

There was no non-disclosure agreements signed by people at the Demo Theater or the RootsMagic booth at RootsTech. There were simply issues that mean we have to create a new video and development does not want to stop right now to create one. 

The video showed at the RootsMagic booth had living individuals showing in the indexes. Though they were not demonstrated on the screen it was enough that we do not want to release the video as it is.

The live demo would have been streamed to Facebook. There was an issue with the projector hookup on stage. The camera man instead had to work a laptop backstage to project to the screen out front. There was no way to capture the live demonstration. I'm not even sure the quality of the demonstration would have been sufficient to put online if we had it.

The stars just did not align at RootsTech. Development is back in the underground labs working hard. I for one do not want to disturb them. If anyone at RootsTech made screen captures they are welcome to upload them.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#100 BonSam

BonSam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

Project glich...really! Funny that has not been mentioned before...by someone who visited your booth at Tech or on the FB page as reason for no appearance after Tech...anywhere...or a customer who saw it...or .....

RM has had a very loyal customer base up to the last few months, but the real glitches with performance for a large portion of your customer base is weakening that support and understandably. For most, reliability and stability are critical components.