104 replies to this topic

#61 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:27 PM

I'm not sure of the degree of the core re-write but there have been many wishes for the likes of non modal, live reports, less clickiness etc which have been around a long time but I don't see any of those as big selling points. Whilst RM7 has many niggly little shortcomings which could easily be overcome, imo, I have got to know and trust it, maybe that's the master plan to encourage me to upgrade.

Therefore I am in no rush to see RM8, but cash flow might disctate otherwise. I pushed hard for the release of RM4 and that became a disaster, I don't take responsibility for the disaster as it was being teased for nine months before release, it simply should have been tested more thoroughly. Anyway it was not a launch RM would wish repeat so as long as steady quality programming is going on I am happy to wait, it will be interesting to see what the hooks for existing users to upgrade will be.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#62 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

Whenever a new version is released, I download the free version, setup the folder structure, move a copy of the data from the previous version, and try it for a period.  As patch versions are released, try them.  Then buy the new release.  BUT I still keep using the older version for production work until the new version seems stable.

#63 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:53 AM

Whenever a new version is released, I download the free version, setup the folder structure, move a copy of the data from the previous version, and try it for a period.  As patch versions are released, try them.  Then buy the new release.  BUT I still keep using the older version for production work until the new version seems stable.

Good strategy, I know and trust RM7, with RM8 being a different base that might take me some time, I lost data by adopting RM4 too quickly, I won't be repeating that mistake. I will be very happy to work with the free version and a copy of my data, test and provide feedback to get the new baby weaned, at the end of the day it's in all our interests that RM progresses into the future.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#64 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:11 AM

Very much agree with the last 2 posts and its a strategy I will adopt but it just occurred to me I wonder if we will see more than one (windows) version of RM8 - 32 & 64 bit ? My old laptop is 32 bit so I could be testing twice or perhaps I should get my act together and buy the new laptop :-)

#65 RStevens

RStevens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

Trebor22, I agree that data lock-in by genealogy programs is a very bad thing and that users should look carefully at how well a program supports data openness and transfer. The data you enter is yours and you should be able to get it out so you can transfer it to another program. RM users are lucky that Tom has a well developed toolkit of data access programs, I think that no other commercial program allows for this interaction.

Trebor22 said: "A reliable common standard is still on my Christmas wish list :-)"

The closest thing to this answer is GEDCOM but I don't know of a Commerical software program that supports it correctly and completely.

@Trebor22, @KFN: I came across this project recently and have been watching it: https://github.com/OpenGenOrg/rosetta.  Lofty goals, but if they succeed, it would solve the vendor lock-in problem.  I just wish I knew how to program so I could volunteer to help them.

#66 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

@Trebor22, @KFN: I came across this project recently and have been watching it: https://github.com/OpenGenOrg/rosetta.  Lofty goals, but if they succeed, it would solve the vendor lock-in problem.  I just wish I knew how to program so I could volunteer to help them.

Thank you for the link, sounds interesting, programming such as this is also way beyond my skills, hope it is successful!!

#67 hemmingsdd

hemmingsdd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

On 29 December 2018, I was recommending and helping a friend put RM7 on her machine.  She paid for the product (download only) and received her order number and key code.  When we tried to download RM onto her machine we were told that she had to wait for RM8 to be released, and was not given access to the full RM7 which she had purchased.  Clearly, there is a problem here!  She is now working with Essentials with NO news of when her order will be fulfilled by RootsMagic.  Should I now recommend to my Workshop of genealogy beginners that RootsMagic is currently in limbo and unable to satisfy them with even the existing product, which could later be updated when the RM8 release arrives - whenever?

Since I have recommended RM to over 200 of my students, I am concerned that this corporate behaviour is quite unacceptable for a firm that heretofore has had a good reputation.

Best for 2019.

David Hemmings. hemmingsdd@gmail.com

#68 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

She probably entered the RM8 key code accidentally. There should also be an RM7 key code.

#69 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

Take it up with Sales or Tech Support. There's nothing a User Forum can do to resolve her/your problem. If the key code began with "RM8", then that Robert's suggestion is bang on.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#70 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

When I purchased RootsMagic 7 around December 10th or so, I received a free upgrade to RM8. So it must be somewhat close. NO PRESSURE DEVELOPERS. :-)

I'm hoping that an announcement will come around the time or RootsTech 2019 which is next month.

#71 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:19 AM

When I purchased RootsMagic 7 around December 10th or so, I received a free upgrade to RM8. So it must be somewhat close. NO PRESSURE DEVELOPERS. :-)

I'm hoping that an announcement will come around the time or RootsTech 2019 which is next month.

We all want greater programmed powers although I believe the consensus is towards a complete and robust release, personally I am in no rush.

Root

#72 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

I think at this point, using a few different systems is working well for me. I mainly use RM7, Legacy 9, and to a lesser extent FTM2017. In the end, I typically generate the GEDCOM files and create a new RM7 database, clean it up a little, and then drag and drop where I need to combine that information. Is anyone doing anything similar? There are a few things that Legacy 9 and FTM2017 do that would take me forever in RM7 due to the "clickiness" of RM - having to click on each and every item.

Just thought of another wish list I bet has already been wished for... :-)

#73 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

We all want greater programmed powers although I believe the consensus is towards a complete and robust release, personally I am in no rush.

If RM8 just adds more window dressing without addressing core database issues and tools (e.g. surname prefix, proofs of relationship, strength of proof analysis, DNA relationship analysis, etc) I can wait forever. RM6 is working for me. RM7 didn't add anything I need. I may or may not upgrade to RM8, just to stay current, without improvements to the core. Not sure.

#74 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

If RM8 just adds more window dressing without addressing core database issues and tools (e.g. surname prefix, proofs of relationship, strength of proof analysis, DNA relationship analysis, etc) I can wait forever. RM6 is working for me. RM7 didn't add anything I need. I may or may not upgrade to RM8, just to stay current, without improvements to the core. Not sure

thumbs-up-emoticon.jpg

Root

#75 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:23 AM

Join us at RootsTech 2019 and get a sneak peek at version 8!

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3191

#76 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

Well it's getting closer, most things do, but personally I would hope there are a lot more months in the development plan to try and make RM8 what people expect in line with competitor software. It's worth noting that there was almost 10 months between the first tease of RM4 and the official release and that release was still a very painful affair, also I have seen no mention of beta testing so I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

A little history of the RM4 release below;

Rootsmagic Insider original RM4 tease - 5 July 2008

Rootsmagic 4 Official release - 25 March 2009

Update on fixing bugs - 25 April 2009

A long and ongoing list of fixes - 26 May 2009

Personally I would prefer to see a complete and rounded and quality program filling the frequently posted researcher needs and maximising productivity so RM8 can stand proud and still be tweaked and polished during it's version life. I'm expecting the release this year and I am quite happy to wait for the best possible version fully embracing the currently available online mapping and reference resources so I can make a calculated choice for the future of my research.

Edit:

It's interesting reading old blogs, maybe it's finally time for Dynamic Groups?

dynamic-groups.png

Root

#77 BonSam

BonSam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

Apparently, those who trasp out to Roots Tech were introduced to RM8....

When do the rest of us---loyalists all---get our hands on the long awaited RM8? 

Grumble, grumble....

I sure hope it offers more than "Ancestry sync".... that seems to the major talk-about. We need a sound, stable program that works for MAC as well as PC with the tools needed for advanced genealogists. 

Grumble some more....

#78 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:31 AM

Apparently, those who trasp out to Roots Tech were introduced to RM8....

When do the rest of us---loyalists all---get our hands on the long awaited RM8? 

Grumble, grumble....

Yes, grumble, grumble, would LOVE to see the native Mac version!

#79 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:14 PM

Yes, grumble, grumble, would LOVE to see the native Mac version!

I believe I read a Rootsmagic comment that something would be released in the next few days for those who couldn't attent Rootstech although reading between the lines I would still expect the official release to be some way out and rightly so imo.

Root

#80 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

I'm sure that the RootsMagic developers aren't sitting on any completed software update, as that would be a recipe for business suicide, as would be the release of an 'Upgrade' with any significant known problems/issues/inadequately tested features. Patience should be the watchword; and be aware of the significant risk of being an early adopter of any completely re-written software if you value your existing data. Keep plenty of backups!

Consume a half-baked pie and all you are likely to get is severe belly-ache. Witness the impact on end users and the controversy of faulty Windows 10 and/or MacOS updates and how many developers/testers Microsoft and Apple employ in comparison with the much smaller software organisations that produce genealogy software, or indeed any other software applications.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"