65 replies to this topic

#41 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

Well, LibreOffice has been around for a while and MicroSoft hasn't thrown in the towel on Office. Linux hasn't put OS-X and Windows out of business.

#42 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:49 AM

Rootsmagic has always had competitors (free and paid for), how good it is (and reasonably priced?) are in my opinion more important than if there is  open source competition.

I am also still of the opinion that transportability of my data is a key factor in 'how good' a genealogy programme is - if my data is 'locked in' I'm likely to be looking elsewhere!

A reliable common standard is still on my Christmas wish list :-)

#43 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:22 AM

Trebor22, I agree that data lock-in by genealogy programs is a very bad thing and that users should look carefully at how well a program supports data openness and transfer. The data you enter is yours and you should be able to get it out so you can transfer it to another program. RM users are lucky that Tom has a well developed toolkit of data access programs, I think that no other commercial program allows for this interaction.

Trebor22 said: "A reliable common standard is still on my Christmas wish list :-)"

The closest thing to this answer is GEDCOM but I don't know of a Commerical software program that supports it correctly and completely.

#44 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

I do hope that getting it out the door takes precedence over it having a gazillion new features. As far as I'm concerned, having native support for both PC and Mac and having just a few other new features so that PC users will have reason to upgrade should be sufficient to get it out the door. Other good stuff could then come in 8.1, 8.2, etc.

Jerry

Yes to all of this!

#45 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

Completely agree!

#46 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

Trebor22, I agree that data lock-in by genealogy programs is a very bad thing and that users should look carefully at how well a program supports data openness and transfer.

The data you enter is yours and you should be able to get it out so you can transfer it to another program.

Whilst the Rootsmagician could easily make my quest more productive and rewarding in various ways I would be happy to stay with RM7 if I could only find and filter the data I have already entered never mind transferring to another program.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#47 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:38 AM

Slightly sideways on this topic I wondered about RM 8 and compatibility with Windows 10 S ?  - I have been considering a new laptop and see quite a few at the budget end of the market have 10 s but it appears you can only install apps from the MS store (I couldn't see RM there or did I just miss it?)

I'm guessing I will opt for one of the regular Win 10 versions to be on the safe side but would be interested to know.

#48 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

Microsoft has experimented with "limited" versions of Windows before - that would not run full programs, only apps. Are those versions of Windows still on the market? No. Do I think that a new "app-based" version of Windows a will fare any better? No, I do not.

#49 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

To: Trebor22

I have one of the low end Windows 10 laptops with 32gb of flash memory.  The price was about $200.  System memory is not expandable and it does not have a CD/DVD.  I have not tried installing programs on a removable camera card.  It does support RootsMagic current version with over 20,000 individuals in the database.  It does have USB ports.  Since it does not have a conventional rotating disk drive, it should be more rugged for trips to libraries and courthouses.  Large numbers of linked photos might be a problem.

#50 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

To: Trebor22

I have one of the low end Windows 10 laptops with 32gb of flash memory.  The price was about $200.  System memory is not expandable and it does not have a CD/DVD.  I have not tried installing programs on a removable camera card.  It does support RootsMagic current version with over 20,000 individuals in the database.  It does have USB ports.  Since it does not have a conventional rotating disk drive, it should be more rugged for trips to libraries and courthouses.  Large numbers of linked photos might be a problem.

Thank you for the reply and it is encouraging to hear  Win 10 S might support RM, perhaps I might have another look at some of those laptops as I do intend it for mainly 'trips out' preferring the desktop at home, not in a rush so time to ponder :-)

Bob

#51 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Nobody has said Win 10S might support RootsMagic. It certainly cannot support RM7.  If you want a lightweight laptop that runs RootsMagic, then it must have the full Windows 10. A keyboard and cursor pointer (mouse, trackball,...) is probably essential - RM was not designed for Touch and a 10-11" screen is minimum. Investigate Surface (high cost), 2-in-1's (med cost), mini-laptops (med to low cost). Go for 4GB RAM and 64GB SSD, minimum.

I have RM running on an old Dell 8" Windows 10 tablet, upgraded to Win 10. It works but I don't use it. I added a 64GB microSD card and have programs installed on it as well as on the 32GB (an overstatement) SSD. I find having the RM database on the SSD results in significantly faster operations with RM than having it on the microSD (the tablet has a slow SD bus).

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#52 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

I don't recommend anymore the small laptops with 32GB hard drives. My HP Stream is so frustrating since upgrading to Windows 10. Now there is not enough space to do the Windows updates as they are released. I have a constant nag screen telling me to update Windows and I can't get it to stay shut off. To run RM I have to copy the RMToGo files from my flash drive to the micro SD card since there is no room on the hard drive. So think long and hard before getting anything that small. RootsMagic needs the full version of Windows and these operating systems are not getting any smaller. Loved my HP Stream but now wish I bought a 64GB hard drive  since there is no way to upgrade it to something bigger. At the time the 64GB HP Stream was the cost of a cheap laptop. Would have saved money going for the cheaper laptop with even a 250GB hard drive.

Renee
RootsMagic

#53 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

My HP Stream is so frustrating since upgrading to Windows 10. Now there is not enough space to do the Windows updates as they are released. I have a constant nag screen telling me to update Windows and I can't get it to stay shut off. 

I like most aspects of Windows 10, except that of course I turn off as much of the Windows 8 nonsense with the tiles as I can. However, Windows 10 update is another kettle of fish. It's very aggressive about doing the updates automatically and at the most inconvenient times (like in the middle of a presentation to a large group of people about genealogy!). There is no official and supported way to turn it off except that it will not run automatically if you declare your Internet connection to be metered even though it isn't really metered. But it can be hard to mark your internet connection as metered because doing so requires an administrative account and for security reasons I do as much of my work as possible on a non-administrative account. Also, a few things don't work quite right if you declare your Internet connection to be metered, such as OneDrive won't update. Microsoft gets a lot of well deserved grief about this one, but so far the grief has not been enough to persuade Microsoft to change their minds. This is one of the dumbest things that Microsoft has ever done.

The RM connection to Windows 10 update is that for example, if you leave your RM open and walk away from your computer, you can come back to your computer to discover Windows 10 has updated and rebooted and your RM session is no longer running. You hope that no data has been lost as a result. It probably hasn't, but it's still disconcerting. A bigger worry might be something like a big TreeShare run which does the initial RM to ancestry transfer or the initial ancestry to RM transfer. Such a thing can take several hours,  plenty of time for Windows 10 update to reboot the machine. If this happens, you have to restart the TreeShare transfer. The same sort of thing can happen with large transfers from FamilySearch. So beware of Windows 10 update. And complain to Microsoft about it any chance you get.

Jerry

#54 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:24 AM

Thank you all for the helpful comments on laptops and windows 10s!!

I'm looking to replace an old 'netbook' running win 7 starter with a 160gb hard drive (much less than half full after 8 years use), all of the laptops I have looked at have at least 128gb ssd's with 4gb ram, those with the 's' version of windows are cheaper and as its only likely to be used away from home I thought perhaps the saving might be  worthwhile (as much as £50 on some laptops).

However given the comments above I think I'm likely to aim for a 'full version' of Windows if only to be on the safe side.

Many Thanks

Bob

#55 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:35 PM

I have read from some users that they just want Rootsmagic 8 shipped and that the niggles can be dealt with later in updates. Unfortunately in my experience many of these much needed updates and functionality closures just do not come about regardless of the number of users reporting difficulties.

I, on the other hand, want Rootsmagic 8 to close on all the valid enhancement requests and research tools a genealogy software platform should embody, nothing short as I no longer trust the Rootsmagic update methodology or drive.

As a long time user I am in many ways not looking forward to RM8 as I remember the painful experience of the RM4 release. Whilst RM7 is still lacking in many of the research tools which are possible I have a trust in the data integrity of the program, with RM8 being advertised as a re-write it will take me some time and a lot of effort to reach that same degree of trust in the product.

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#56 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

..........I have a trust in the data integrity of the program, with RM8 being advertised as a re-write it will take me some time and a lot of effort to reach that same degree of trust in the product.

I agree. If you ask people what is the most important feature of a genealogy program, few will think of data integrity, but if you put it on a list of features, I think everyone would place it at the top of the list.

#57 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:18 AM

I notice this thread is over 2 years old and posed the question 'is there any news on the RM rewrite'?  I understand RM not wanting to make predicated release dates or features etc  but I'm going to say it anyway - is there any news? I would also be interested if the first poster's idea of an 'add on' RM - Tools -  is still in progress?

I agree. If you ask people what is the most important feature of a genealogy program, few will think of data integrity, but if you put it on a list of features, I think everyone would place it at the top of the list.

You are right Don - closely followed by the ability to transfer that data to another programme if I need or want to.

#58 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

I personally doubt that we will see it this year, but I make note of the fact that major RM releases often appear in December. Whether that's predictive of the release of RM8 is anybody's guess.

Don't want to fuel the fire but I am also well aware of the past trend of late year release dates <_<

Root

#59 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

I would also hope there is no push to get RM8 out the door this year but things are influenced by other factors rather than just getting things right. There is a common consensus that only a very few development ideas come from this forum, Rootsmagic have said that themselves.

We know RM8 will be MAC, I have the wish of Jerry Bryan to just get it out the door and deal with the fluffy stuff later but I was wondering the opinions of what others thing might be the direction for Windows users?

Personally I would hope for more hard research and data mining tools, more powerful and flexible merge and clean up tools that online services don't offer but they are hardly major USP's for a launch.

Root

#60 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

With so little info on RM8 we are really just left guessing.

So here goes some of my guesswork -  start with rewriting the 'core'  just try to replicate where RM7 is now, proving  functionally before redesigning the UI and adding new features -  then the decision must be a trade off between what you would like RM8 to look like and reopening the 'up-graders cash stream', a hard decision to make. You need to keep the loyal fans, the 'floating voters' and bring new users in as well.

I confess to liking the idea of companion programmes or addons but I get the feeling the one mentioned at the start of this thread is unlikely to appear and perhaps there never will be any.

I am awaiting the release with great interest  as well as  crossed fingers :-)