• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kester

Kester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:36 PM

If this is posted someplace please direct me to it.  I used TMG, did the transfer over to RootsMagic 7, did it several times, trying to get as much information to transfer over as I could.  But one area is bothering the heck out of me ... the Social Security Number (SSN), it has the field for description and has a date field.  All of my data on everyones Social Numbers put the number into the description box, that part is ok. 

BUT ... the date for whatever reason on all the transfers I did, is not correct it is like only half a date, and it put "abt" in front of all the dates.  The program (RootsMagic) will not allow me to correct the date field entry.  I would say that at least 90% of them have a date like, "abt 23 Jul" , when I had "23 Jul 1950".  That is what transferred over and the program will not allow me to correct the date.  It does let me type in a correct date, but it does not change in the person's screen, on the person screen the date stays "abt 23 Jul".  The only thing I have been able to do, is to delete the transferred SSN entry and make a totally new one, that is the only way I have found to correct it.  I am hopeful that someone has an easy solution to this, because I have hundreds if not maybe a thousand people that I need to get this corrected on.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

Not sure why RM would change a Date upon import. I don't recall if I've ever heard of it happening. I believe, usually, it will import even invalid date formats (Date: field background becomes yellow). A list of such problem dates can be found via Lists->Fact List->Create a list of <Facts with text dates>

What happens when you click on the calendar icon (far right within Date: field) and chose a date and click <Select> button (which should populate the field), then click <Save> button ?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:09 AM

I would also check the Fact Type list to see if there are two different SSN fact types. Perhaps the imported data was put into a customized fact types rather than the default Social Security Number.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

The default RootsMagic Social Security Number (Soc Sec No) fact doesn't have the date field enabled. Go to Lists>Fact Type Lists>Soc Sec No and click Edit. Check the box "Use date field". In the Role Sentence Template you will need to add < [Date]> so its included. Then you will be able to edit them. I don't have TMG so I'm not sure how they were entered in that program. If it was a true date field is should have imported correctly.

Renee
RootsMagic