2 replies to this topic

#1 Jesper Beenfeldt Nielsen

Jesper Beenfeldt Nielsen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:43 AM

Hi,

I have just imported my genealogi database from The Master Genealogist to Rootsmagic 7.107. The import was smooth and it didn't report any major problems.

Rootsmagic have imported my sources from TMG, and it has also imported the Source Types. So now I have a Source Type called "_TMG_Book (Multi-Volume, Compendium)" and a lot others like that.

The import of the sources was OK but not percect, I would like to clean up the results, and I would like to use the standard Rootsmagic Source Types to minimize confusion. 

My question is: Is it possible to change the Source Type when editing af source? I can't see how to do it.

Thank you,

Jesper

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6039 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:06 AM

No, you cannot. And you cannot merge sources of different templates without losing data from fields in the secondary that have no match in the primary. Nothing has been seen from reported work on developing a source conversion feature.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3257 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

My question is: Is it possible to change the Source Type when editing af source? I can't see how to do it.

Tom already answered, but let me amplify a little bit.

Almost certainly what you are referring to as Source Types manifests in the RM world as Source Templates. I do change Source Templates sometimes. But when I do, I usually do it with SQLite rather than by merging sources, simply because it's easier. It certainly could be done instead with merging.

But more importantly, when I do so I make very sure that any data from the old template also exists in the new template. Otherwise, you will lose data as Tom has already described. And generally speaking, the only way to be sure that any data from the old template is also in the new template is to use a template of my own design rather than using the built-in Evidence Explained templates.

Be aware that the conventional wisdom among experienced RM users is that when you use the built-in Source Templates, don't use them directly. Rather, make an exact copy of them (easy to do within Lists->Source Templates) and use the copy instead. That way, if you discover a glitch in the template, you can correct the glitch. The glitch could be as major as the template not supporting a data element you need or as minor as a missing or extra comma. The reason to make the copy of the template is that the copy can be edited but the original built-in template cannot be edited.

Jerry