• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jay H

Jay H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

I would like a Database Properties report to be added to the RootsMagic report list. This would allow us to print a paper copy or save a PDF file and make snapshots of our progress toward improving or RM database. At the moment I have to take a screen shot and save it, Adding this report would be a great convenience and seems like it would involve minimum implementation effort. 

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

I started an Excel spreadsheet several years ago, in which I document about half of the statistics on the File Properties screen. I created a formula for a "documentation factor" and then went back through my archive of backups and pulled out data from all the way back to the first big data-entry session at a family reunion in 1988. The change from snapshot-to-snapshot isn't usually very noticeable, but the chart from 1988 to 2016 shows how my attention to detail (and the capabilities of the RM software, and the availablity of research info) have changed over the long haul.

-

I love this journey !!!

-

YRmKwWK.png

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5997 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

I agree, Jay, that it should be trivial to replicate the screen content as a report. You can copy and print from a SQLite manager:

Both of these were developed over five years ago.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 mleroux

mleroux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:08 AM

RM keeps track of the dates that certain entries were "edited" - and while I'm not 100% sure of what "edited" means I believe it is the initial creation date. So it is very feasible that RM could create a very simple display of the progression on line- similar to the following:

rmEntryCounts.jpg

Right now RM has this data for individuals and events.

The sql query I used to get thism which would result in a tabular report, is:

select date(2415019 + editDate) as crDate, count(*) as Entries
from personTable

group by editDate order by crDate

You can replace personTable with eventTable to get events

It would be nice if they had the same field for other tables (like places and citations), but for me it's a good indication of my progress to use people as a basis.

Marc
Always learning and loving the discovery process. Focusing on the Huntingdon and Soulanges areas of Quebec - O'Connor/Leroux/Walsh/McCann/Savage/Lalonde/Lauzon

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

I would like a Database Properties report to be added to the RootsMagic report list. This would allow us to print a paper copy or save a PDF file and make snapshots of our progress toward improving or RM database. At the moment I have to take a screen shot and save it, Adding this report would be a great convenience and seems like it would involve minimum implementation effort.

Confirming enhancement request is in the tracking system.

RM keeps track of the dates that certain entries were "edited" - and while I'm not 100% sure of what "edited" means I believe it is the initial creation date.

The edited date is the last date that person had changes made to them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:56 AM

Renee,

Would that be any type of change?  If an individual was incorporated in a Shared Event?  A new photo loaded?  Everything and anything - or are there exclusions?

MVS.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

The opening and closing of the Edit Person screen for the individual to make the change is required.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3221 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

The edited date is not of no value. It can be of considerable value. But there are many changes you can make that do not update the edited date, and the edited date can be changed even when nothing is changed.

Jerry

#9 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

I also use an Excel Spreadsheet for properties list.  But set up a calculate line between each time I copy [have a form in word to keep the hand written hard copy] the Properties list.  have this file back to 2002. Columns are the titles on the Property list. I have several databases from over the years of using FO and RM. You never know when you need your backup informaion.

1. Line 1 is the data from 25 Dec 2015   Example: 25 Dec 2015 People was 15532

2. Line 2 is the calculation of what was updated and how many differences of each type either minus or Plus.Example: 25 Dec 2015 = People was 0

3  Line 3 is the data from    Example: 15 Jan 2016 = People was 15541

4  Line 4 is the Calculation from 15 Jan 2016  Example:  People was 9

Have not played with the Pivot/Chart of changes with this file.

My Back up is the 15th of each month & end date of a month.

In my backup procedures, is the property list update for each month. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0