• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JimOrmerod

JimOrmerod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

I've just purchased RM7 and have imported my PAF file.  In PAF I had the preferences show SURNAME Given Names.  However, although names appear like this in RM7, on editing a record, the Given Names appear in the Suffix field instead of the Given names field.

As an experiment I exported the PAF file to GEDCOM (in PAF) and then imported that into RM7.  This time Given Names appear in both Given Name and Suffix fields.

I've looked at Data Clean but it doesn't appear to cover this.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8239 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

We are aware of this but there isn't anyway for us to import the names into the correct fields when they were entered into PAF with that setting. 

I think the GEDCOM import a little better, even though the given name is duplicated. Maybe Tom Holden has a fix with SQLite Tools to remove the suffix field from everyone after the import.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 JimOrmerod

JimOrmerod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Renee.  I realised that the problem was that I had entered people's names as /Surname/ Forename(s).  Had I done Forename(s) /Surname/ I think the import process would have correctly split the name field up.

As I only have about 250 in my PAF file I used the GEDCOM export from PAF to populate RM7 then edited each person, removing the Suffix data, so it all looks fine now.   Glad I didn't have thousands to edit.

#4 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:45 AM

Does this issue mean that RM does not support the following valid GEDCOM:

1 NAME /surname/ given name(s)

In many cultures the surname (or family name) is first with given names second.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8239 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

No, not if the PAF file was set to that when data entering the names. 

Renee
RootsMagic