4 replies to this topic

#1 RootsMagicLover

RootsMagicLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

I am running RootsMagic 6 on Windows 10, and wonder if there is a way to save my login credentials for Dropbox.

It is annoying to have to enter this information every time I make an update to my database and want to update Dropbox.

#2 mleroux

mleroux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

Agreed, it is also annoying in RM 7. At least the email if not the password

Marc
Always learning and loving the discovery process. Focusing on the Huntingdon and Soulanges areas of Quebec - O'Connor/Leroux/Walsh/McCann/Savage/Lalonde/Lauzon

#3 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:28 AM

I think this is most probably a 'security feature' to offer a measure of protection to your DropBox user account.

If RootsMagic were to store your DropBox Username and Password, then they would both be easily accessible to anyone who could use your computer or get hold of a copy of your RM database as there is no method for encrypting the RM data files.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#4 mleroux

mleroux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

Many applications, including RM, allow saving of credentials for services. Most applications give the users the choice of saving name and/or password, which leaves it up to the user to decide the level of security they want to have.

In my case I have multiple Dropbox accounts, and have saved my file to the wrong account several times. I don't mind typing in my password every time, but it would be less annoying if I didn't have to type in the username.

Marc
Always learning and loving the discovery process. Focusing on the Huntingdon and Soulanges areas of Quebec - O'Connor/Leroux/Walsh/McCann/Savage/Lalonde/Lauzon

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8454 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

The way the Dropbox API works we don't know your password and aren't allowed to ask for it.

The login screen is a Dropbox screen so your typing the login directly to Dropbox.

Renee
RootsMagic