66 replies to this topic

#61 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

Kevin identified the data source for the Gazetteer and County Check data here: http://forums.rootsm...mes/#entry57571

Interesting read on that link with the facility to suggest new Places and corrections. Whilst this may be the origin on the RM reference RM does not need to be connected to the internet to use these features. This makes me wonder when was the CountyCheck.dat last updated if that is indeed the file RM is using for this resource.

"Place Standard Finder is no longer supported and has been replaced by the Place Research Tool. The new Place Research Tool performs the same functionality of the old tool and more. Please use the feedback link at the bottom of the page to help us add any new places, share any corrections to existing places, or let us know how we can improve the tool."

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#62 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

I think we have sort of an "all of the above are correct" situation. RM's Gazetteer database and RM's County Check database are one and the same, and the one and only RM place database is a copy of a database on the LDS Web site. But RM does not use the database over the Internet. Rather, it uses a local copy that's installed when you install RM.

Jerry

#63 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:19 AM

I think we have sort of an "all of the above are correct" situation. RM's Gazetteer database and RM's County Check database are one and the same, and the one and only RM place database is a copy of a database on the LDS Web site. But RM does not use the database over the Internet. Rather, it uses a local copy that's installed when you install RM.

Jerry

This suggested correlation brings up more questions and it would be nice to hear from Rootsmagic on the subject.

My wife has a lot of ancestors around the County Armagh town of Portadown which was always a well populated town; however Portadown does not appear in Gazetteer.

When I enter Portadown here I get 9 matches of varying quality and perhaps it's that variance in quality that excludes it from Rootsmagic?

It would seem that the Rootsmagic Gazetteer is either an old copy of this data or, more likely, a selective extraction from this resource at best.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#64 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

I think we are using a library from USGS GNIS that LDS place names use also, for the USA. There is a similar one for Canada too.

Renee
RootsMagic

#65 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:02 AM

Jerry

From my experience RM's Gazetteer does not 100% match the RM CountyCheck. Sometimes it is a little thing such "Saint Louis, St. Louis (city), Missouri, United States" (Gazetteer) vs "Saint Louis, St. Louis City, Missouri, United States" (CountyCheck). My experience indicates that RM Gazetteer and GedCom might be the same database as for the above example, if I choose either of the CountyCheck suggestions (two in this case- one with city the other without), the GeoCode standardization reverts it back to the Gazetteer version. Similar example:
Saint Kilian, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, United States (Gazeteer)

Saint Kilian, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin, United States (CountyCheck)

#66 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

From my experience RM's Gazetteer does not 100% match the RM CountyCheck. Sometimes it is a little thing such "Saint Louis, St. Louis (city), Missouri, United States" (Gazetteer) vs "Saint Louis, St. Louis City, Missouri, United States" (CountyCheck). My experience indicates that RM Gazetteer and GedCom might be the same database as for the above example, if I choose either of the CountyCheck suggestions (two in this case- one with city the other without), the GeoCode standardization reverts it back to the Gazetteer version. Similar example:
Saint Kilian, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, United States (Gazeteer)

Saint Kilian, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin, United States (CountyCheck)

Seems to answer the question, found this out accidentally when PlaceDB.dat was missing from one of my computers.

placedb.png

Root

#67 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

I noticed FamilySearch Place Research recently changed its screen layout. I liked it better the old layout, but maybe I will get used to the new layout. Than I remembered this discussion and wanted to check the two cities above on FSPR. I only entered what is between quotation marks.

I entered

"Saint Louis, St. Louis (city), Missouri, United States" (Gazetteer)

FSPR responded (closet match)

St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Independent City 1877 - PRESENT

full list of matches:

https://familysearch...&advanced=false

I entered

"Saint Louis, St. Louis City, Missouri, United States" (CountyCheck)

FSPR responded

St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, United States

City 1821 - 1877

full list of matches

https://familysearch...&advanced=false

I entered

"Saint Kilian, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, United States" (Gazetteer)

FSPR responded

Saint Kilian, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, United StatesPopulated Place

full list of matches

I entered 

"Saint Kilian, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin, United States" (CountyCheck)

FSPR responded

Saint Kilian, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, United States

Populated Place

full list of matches

The results seem to indicate and confirm that the FSPR library is not the same as Gazetteer library the nor CountyCheck library. Although St. Kilian had a more consistent response as opposed to St. Louis. As well that a small nuance of difference, such as "(city)" vs. "City" in St. Louis, can drastically change the response provided.

Interesting enough I also entered similar searches at GNIS and depending on how the city name and jurisdiction hierarchy were entered, a complete different set of responses. The GNIS search, which is only for US places, separates the City, State & County into three fields (I think one of the better ways to achieve more precise responses). The GNIS Search includes Fire Stations and other civil buildings. This is why the first search has 37 responses.

I entered
"Saint Louis, St. Louis (city)"
"Missouri"
[nul for County- left blank]
GNIS responded (out of 37)

Saint Louis 765765 Populated Place St. Louis (city) MO
383738N 0901152W
& (probably the city office location)
City of Saint Louis 767557 Civil St. Louis MO
383809N 0901443W
I entered
"Saint Louis, St. Louis (city)"
"Missouri"
"St. Louis (city)" [had selection for St. Louis as County only also]
GNIS responded (out of 5)

Saint Louis 765765 Populated Place St. Louis (city) MO 383738N 0901152W

Other variants of entry typically came up with a different number of responses, but all had the 

Saint Louis 765765 Populated Place St. Louis (city) MO 383738N 0901152W

From this it would seem that the GNIS library is close to that of the Gazetteer library & GeoCode library of Standardized names - at least For Saint Louis City.