66 replies to this topic

#41 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

I don't understand the question or the answer. Sorry for being so dense on this one. But if I add a new fact and select an existing place, I can enter a place detail that does not yet exist for that place prior to doing a Save for the fact and all is well. So I must be missing something.

Jerry

I was the one missing something, Jerry. Jet-lagged, I was harking back to an earlier version of RM. But thanks to mleroux for putting a wider interpretation on my sentence and pointing out the inconsistency between Add Person and Edit Person when it comes to Place Details.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#42 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:38 PM

In respect of Places I believe the developers of Rootsmagic are well aware of the need to bring all Place related objects together into one new and modern UI and hopefully that will be realized in version 8.

The evolution of place management and new features being introduced in a "bolt on" fashion has led to the present fragmented functionality. The fact that Rootsmagic 8 is said to be a complete re-write is the perfect opportunity to address this and other long standing annoyances.

Well Put!

#43 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

Lots of discussion about different approaches to organizing and recording place names....

I've published a Gazetteer on MyRootsMagic, with GEDCOM available, demonstrating my practices.

I'll be updating and extending it from time to time.

http://MyRootsMagic.com/Gazetteer 

16 Mar 2016 2:07 pm

Here's the URL when I view the site through RM7  http://sites.rootsma...tteer/index.php

GEDCOM download is provided for sharing.

#44 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:00 AM

It comes up as unavailable

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#45 Robert Fletcher

Robert Fletcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:08 PM

16 Mar 2016 2:07 pm

Here's the URL when I view the site through RM7  http://sites.rootsma...tteer/index.php

GEDCOM download is provided for sharing.

Yes it gave me a 404 error too.

#46 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

http://sites.rootsmagic.com/Gazetteer/
or
http://sites.rootsma...tteer/index.php

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#47 laurenhkildea

laurenhkildea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

Don, I also use this method and this is another area RM could improve on. FTM highlighted what they called "unresolved places" on the index list with a "?" beside them, RM could do something similar and it would be nice if the Rootsmagician facilitated a filtered list of unresolved places. Then we could drop those prefixes and allow the entries to sit alphabetically where they should.

Looking for some advice on this topic from some people experienced with RootsMagic! I just downloaded Rootsmagic today (formerly an FTM user) - I used the "unresolved place" FTM functionality extensively and maintain my tree on ancestry, downloading the file to GEDCOM simply to run reports to fix inconsistent formats, identify duplicate people and identify potential errors. My name standardization was consistent with the FTM format using USA at the end. Is there anyway to change the geotag preferences to recognize USA instead of United States in RM? Every place in my tree in RM is showing up unmatched because of this formatting difference. Is there a good way to print a report showing all the places I need to fix? Thanks for any advice.

#48 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

Users have no control over the place dictionary called the Gazetteer. You can use Search > Global search and replace on place names to replace ",USA" with ",United States" and vice versa. You can turn off the historical County Check if you find it more annoying than helpful.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#49 Sothrn

Sothrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hi all,

New user to RM here.  Still trying to decide if I am going to use it or Legacy for my tree when FTM goes away for good.  I have a question about the standardization.  Apparently somewhere in my tree, I saved a place as 1230 Shelton Ave.  When I go to standardize this, I want to find the record it belongs to so I can correct it and then delete it.  I can find no option for pulling up that record or even showing where it is used.  Am I missing something?  In Legacy, you can see all records attached to a place, so if you need to correct the record, you can without going through a massive search. Is there a way to do that with RM?

#50 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

Lists>Place List - highlight the place and then click Print to get a report of who is connected to that place.

Renee
RootsMagic

#51 Sothrn

Sothrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

Thank you SOOOOOO Much.  That works.  I'm really liking RM now that I am actually playing around with it.    Thanks again.

#52 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

To: Sothrn

You might want to try the following to see how RootsMagic views your entire place list

List>Place List

Print

Print all places in database

[x] Reverse place names,  click on check box

[x] Print Place details, click on check box

This will give a report state by state, county by county, city by city

It is an easy way to check on slight variations in spelling.

#53 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:59 AM

I can find no option for pulling up that record or even showing where it is used.  Am I missing something?  In Legacy, you can see all records attached to a place, so if you need to correct the record, you can without going through a massive search. Is there a way to do that with RM?

Such easy navigation functionality similar to FTM and Legacy Family Tree has been wished for in Rootsmagic for many years but so far has not materialised.

Personally I very much hope that a completely new all encompassing professional Place management UI comes about in RM8 embodying associations and embedded maps. Bringing all the existing RM Place Aids together in such a way will, in my opinion, put RM way ahead of the competition in regards to Place Management.

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#54 cml492

cml492

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

This has been a very interesting and enlightening discussion. I have just finished 'cleaning' my Places - I wish I had read this topic BEFORE starting the cleanup.

I have a lot of St. Louis City, Missouri locations.  What is aggrevating is that after having geocoded, Splitting Details and 'Using Standard Names' and finally 'Merging' the duplicates.  The CountyCheck pops up when 'Saving' facts and offers the non-standard variants of the Saint Louis.   St. Louis City became its own county in 1886 and is sometimes it is referred to as 'Saint Louis,Saint Louis (Independent City),Missouri'   The standardize name is 'Saint Louis,Saint Louis (City),Missouri' and the the CountyChecker offers 'Saint Louis,St. Louis,Missouri' or 'Saint Louis,St. Louis City,Missouri'  I wish they'd both use the same standard! 

#55 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:30 AM

The standardize name is 'Saint Louis,Saint Louis (City),Missouri' and the the CountyChecker offers 'Saint Louis,St. Louis,Missouri' or 'Saint Louis,St. Louis City,Missouri'  I wish they'd both use the same standard!

Unfortunately, I think the variance is because there seems to be separate data sources for the features you are trying to use, likely because that is how they are available to the programmer.

When County Check is enabled, and a place name gets entered into the Place field for a Fact, a check is made for :quote: ~valid~ :unquote: county names within the state entered. Possible valid historical matches are displayed in their corrected form and an <Info> button can be clicked for the historical usage context of each offering. The user gets to either select from the :quote: ~valid~ :unquote: County Check place names -or- decline any change to what you've entered.

As for the Standardized place names offered, I believe they come from the Gazeteer. Keep in mind this is merely a 'suggestion'. Once GeoCode recognizes the entered place name and has filled in the Latitude/Longitude and Standardized place name, you can change the Standardized place name to whatever you want (it's obviously not used for County Checknor reports).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#56 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Unfortunately, I think the variance is because there seems to be separate data sources for the features you are trying to use, likely because that is how they are available to the programmer.

I thought that County Check and Gazetteer were using the exact same database.

Jerry

#57 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

I thought that County Check and Gazetteer were using the exact same database.

Jerry

I thought County Check was using some LDS database and that Gazeteer was a different animal.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#58 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

I thought County Check was using some LDS database and that Gazeteer was a different animal.

Renee can confirm, but I think it's the same database.

Jerry

#59 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

Renee can confirm, but I think it's the same database.

Jerry

Well I learned something today, I always thought CountyCheck was an online resource but both CountyCheck and Gazetteer are offline resources.

With CountyCheckDB.dat and OnThisDayDB.dat being the only local files I guess Gazetteer uses CountyCheckDB.dat.

Root

#60 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

Kevin identified the data source for the Gazetteer and County Check data here: http://forums.rootsm...mes/#entry57571