5 replies to this topic

#1 armyjaks1

armyjaks1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hi,

I am new to this.  I have a tree on Ancestry and am considering purchasing your Rootsmagic 7 after using Family Tree Maker on an old laptop and not able to transfer this onto new laptop.  If I purchase your programme will I be able to transfer my trees from Ancestry onto this on my new laptop.  Hope this  makes sense, any help will be appreciated,

Thank you

Jacqueline Armitage

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:11 AM

No, Ancestry has not yet implemented a way to transfer trees directly from their online service to genealogy programs other than FTM. RootsMagic imports a Family Tree Maker database or backup and that is the means you will have to use at this time. Normally you would either save your database(s) or backup files (on the old laptop) to a USB thumb drive/hard drive (which are portable) or onto a writable CD -OR- save them to the cloud via services such as Dropbox (or alternatives as listed here http://alternativeto...ware/dropbox/).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

We have partnered with Ancestry and will be providing sync capabilities with them later this year. It will be a free update to RootsMagic 7. Ancestry is still working on the new API that will be used for this sync. Once they complete it we will begin working on the development of this feature.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 armyjaks1

armyjaks1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

Thanks very much for help, think I will go ahead and purchase Rootsmagic 7,

#5 Bill Peacock

Bill Peacock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

It is my understanding that you can export a gedcom of your ancestry tree and then import it into RM.

#6 gldaggett

gldaggett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

Yes, you can download a gedcom of your Ancestry tree but it is unsatisfactory with media getting left behind and various info not coming down the way you expect. The only realistic way to get Ancestry tree info out of the online server right now is if you have Family Tree Maker installed and linked to the Ancestry tree. Once you have the tree info into FTM, RM7 will do a direct import from the file with good results. This will only work with version provided by Ancestry and not MacKiev (the new owners). They changed the file system which prevents direct import by RM7. Or wait until later this year when Roots Magic will be able to release their new version which will support Ancestry trees. It sounds like you have an FTM file somewhere on a computer. If you have the file, RM7 should directly import it with good results. It would be a simple process.

--Long time FTM user