7 replies to this topic

#1 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

Using RM7  - have twice run across this problem - when trying to open the database from the RM menu, I get the message that the database is locked.  Solved to problem by finding the rmgc file on my computer and clicking on it from there.   

Why does the database become locked?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6214 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

Did this happen immediately after launching RM or only after you had it open for a while and had been working on the database previously during that RM session?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:21 AM

I can't be 100% sure, but I do know that after the problem started, I was unable to open the program, even by following instructions I found on this forum.  I will keep the question in mind and respond further if it happens again.

#4 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

One cause identified.  I let Windows 10 automatic update happen without closing RM.  I'm not sure this is the only cause.  if it happens for another reason, will let you know.   DoninRiver

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6214 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

Mere speculation but a forced shutdown might have disrupted RootsMagic during a write transaction which has put a lock on the database against other write transactions, such as what happens on opening the database.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

Another cause identified:  Automatic update caused same locked file problem.

#7 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

Solution - locate the file on my computer and open file directly from the folder instead.

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

If RM has been interrupted by a forced shutdown, I would recommend using the File - Database tools to check for database corruption.