Can we get rid of automatic insertion of "in" and "on" before [date], [Place] etc.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_david.harrison_*

Guest_david.harrison_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hello, I want to create a role sentence for the census fact type for wife, son, daughter etc. roles to read thus :

Walter Lorne Harrison appeared in the 1901 Canada Census in York, Ontario, Canada as son of the head of household (Robert Scrivener Harrison).

So my son role specific sentence template is here :

[ThisPerson] appeared in the <[Date]>< [Place:Last]> census <[PlaceDetails]>< [Place]> as son of the head of household ([person]).

However, this results in this silly sentence:

Walter Lorne Harrison appeared in the in 1901 in Canada Census in York, Ontario, Canada as son of the head of household (Robert Scrivener Harrison).

This results from the silly insistence of RootsMagic automatically inserting the word "in" before both the date and the place here, when it doesn't belong in either place. I know why RootsMagic does this, but nonetheless it is very annoying. I want to be able to construct the grammar of my sentences any which way I please without interference from the program which is trying to be far too clever for its own good!

Another example is here: I have created two custom facts - Arrival and Departure.

I want the Arrival fact sentence to say "xyz person arrived at [Place] on [Date].

But no, I can't have that - instead it comes out as "xyz person arrived at in [Place] on in [Date].

Similarly the Departure fact sentence should say ""xyz person departed from [Place] on [Date].

But no, I can't have that either - instead it comes out as "xyz person departed from in [Place] on in [Date].

Is it possible to turn off this automatic "in"/on" insertion with date and place fields in a selective manner?

Thanks for any help.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

[Place:plain] and [Date:plain].

Jerry

#3 Guest_david.harrison_*

Guest_david.harrison_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

[Place:plain] and [Date:plain].

Jerry

Thanks so much, that is just what I needed!

#4 BarbA

BarbA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:20 AM

I would love to know how to change this as well but I have no idea what the response means.  It looks like a SQL statement but I would have no idea where to put it.  Any suggestions on where I can follow up on this?

#5 BarbA

BarbA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:25 AM

I'm sorry, I should clarify.  I'm learning Rootsmagic, recently switched from FTM, and I'm learning about sources and citations. The footnote looks like this:  , In , March 5, 2006, etc.  I don't want the , In Thank you.

#6 BarbA

BarbA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:43 AM

I figured it out.  The program is more complicated than I anticipated.  I made a copy of a template and was able to modify the footnote.  The information on sentence structure is quite complicated and needs more attention than I am willing to give at this point.  Thank you though. 

By the way, I do like the program I just wish it weren't so complicated to learn.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:12 AM

[Place:plain] and [Date:plain] are not SQL statements. Rather, they are a part of the Sentence Template Language inside of RM. Here's a really quick tutorial on how the Sentence Templates work.

• Go to Lists->Fact Type List to see the list of facts.
  • Pick a fact for which you wish to see the Sentence Template or for which you wish to change the Sentence Template. We will pick Burial.
  • Pick a role. For the most part, facts will have two roles by default - Principal and Witness. Principal is the more or less standard way you use a fact. Witness is for when you are using a fact as a shared fact. So choose Principal.
  • You can see the Sentence Template without editing it. Or you can double click the role or click on the Edit button to edit the sentence template.
  • The default sentence template for the burial fact is [person] was buried< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>. For example, the real sentence might read something like John Doe was buried on 9 Jul 1900 at Greenwood Cemetery in Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. You can see that the prepositions are not in the sentence template, but rather are added for you automatically. See below for how to get rid of them if you don't want them.
  • The [person] variable gets replaced by the person's name. There are a bunch of options such as [person:nickname] just to get their nickname.
  • The [date] variable gets replaced by the date of the event, including prepositions. You can use [date:plain] to get rid of the prepositions. The angle brackets around the date as in < [date]> cause the date to be omitted from the sentence if your burial fact has no date. Note that there is a blank inside the angle brackets and the blank is there for proper spacing of the sentence. If the date is omitted, then the blank is omitted as well since the blank is inside the angle brackets. If you don't want blanks omitted when data is missing, put the blanks outside the angle brackets.
  • [place] and [placedetails] work the same as date including that they provide prepositions for you automatically, except that they display the place and place details, respectively, rather than displaying the date. They can be surrounded by angle brackets so that they are omitted if your fact doesn't have a place or place details. And they can use the :plain option to leave out the prepositions.
  • If you change the sentence template in the fact list, it changes the sentence everywhere in your report. You can also change the sentence template in the Edit Person screen, and it will change the sentence template only for the sentence for that one particular person.

Jerry

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

This webinar maybe helpful also.

48. Sentence and Source Templates in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee