12 replies to this topic

#1 searchingfamilyhistory

searchingfamilyhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:09 AM

Hello:

I have a Samsung S tablet with an SD card for extra storage.  I have placed copies of my RM data files on the SD card (I also tried putting them on the main memory of the tablet), however when I go to the RM app select File and then On Device, there is nothing there.   I would prefer NOT to use Dropbox (just one more thing to sign up for which I do not want) 

Is it possible to get the tablet app to find the files on my tablet without going through Dropbox?

Thanks

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

The only thing I can think of is to verify which file you copied RMGC or RMGB. I don't use the RM apps, butI think I recall that it needs the RMGC.

#3 searchingfamilyhistory

searchingfamilyhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

I copied the RMGC files to my tablet.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:39 AM

I'm out of ideas. I searched the online help and found these links:

http://support.roots...uter-or-device-

http://support.roots...r-GEDCOM-files-

http://support.roots...ded-to-the-app-

It appears that RM is targeted toward DropBox.

#5 searchingfamilyhistory

searchingfamilyhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for your help.  I really hate when one application makes you sign on to another application.  Dropbox is particularly problematic as it requires a code via text and when I'm overseas I don't have access to my USA mobile and then yet another step.  I just want to copy/paste file from one device to another.  Sometimes all these new whiz bang things are a bit much; simpler can be better.

However I rant. <_< ...thanks again for the help.

#6 Kester

Kester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

I am having the same issue, I cannot get Dropbox to see any of the RM files I put into it on my smartphone, which is Android.  I have tried every kind of file and file locations, having placed all of them on my desktop into Dropbox, but the phone will just not see ANY RM file.  I have done the troubleshooting from RM, Dropbox, Motorola, Android, Google and some other ones I just can not think of right now, but I can not get it to work.  It has to be something real simple I am sure, I am just not seeing it.  Does RM and Dropbox work for everyone else?  Anyone?  Please let me know what you have done to have yours work, please.

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:44 AM

Is your Dropbox set up

• folder called Apps
    • sub folder RoosMagic
      • transferred a copy of current file with .rmgc ending 

then I have a sub folder

• EvidentiaSoftware  [2nd software on Dropbox]

I get it on

• my cell  Samsung III
  • and my Kindle FireHD
  •  and my old Kindle Fire

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2694 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

Is your Dropbox set up

• folder called Apps
    • sub folder RoosMagic
      • transferred a copy of current file with .rmgc ending 

Just to re-emphasize, the above setup is the one that is supported and works. I use iPhone instead of Android, but I believe the Dropbox technique works the same way on either kind of smartphone.

It absolutely has to be the rmgc file, not the rmgb file. On Windows, use Windows Explorer to copy and paste or drag and drop the rmgc file from wherever it is into the RootsMagic folder under the Apps folder under the Dropbox folder. I don't know how Dropbox works on a Mac. But if you can get the rmgc file into the right place in Dropbox, then the mobile app doesn't know or care if the file came from a PC or from a Mac.

I already had the Dropbox app on my iPhone, but if you don't then I believe that it's necessary to install the Dropbox app on your iPhone or Android. Make sure the Dropbox app can really see your Dropbox files. Having done all that, it should work. And having done all that, its actually quite easy moving forward to update the database on your smart phone. Just repeat the process of copying and pasting or dragging and dropping your rmgc file from wherever it is into the RootsMagic folder under the Apps folder under the Dropbox folder. None of the other steps have to be repeated.

Jerry

#9 rknechtel

rknechtel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

I am trying to get my RootsMagic file to my android phone (Samsung Galexy S III). What folder structure do I need to create and where does it need to go to get RM to find my .rmgc file? I created a Dropbox\Apps\Rootsmagic folder on my SDCard as well as on my phone and copied my .rmgc file into it but the app doesn't see it. This should be possible if it will see the file when copied down from dropbox. I shouldn't need to bother using dropbox. Especially since Dropbox says they "own the rights" to anything you put on their service per their EULA - so I don't use Drobox.

Thanks,

#10 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:18 AM

A Dropbox account is required - end of discussion.

None of the Dropbox legal documents make the claim you stated.   In fact, the Dropbox Terms of Service says the exact opposite:

• When you use our Services, you provide us with things like your files, content, email messages, contacts and so on ("Your Stuff"). Your Stuff is yours. These Terms don't give us any rights to Your Stuff except for the limited rights that enable us to offer the Services.

https://www.dropbox.com/privacy#terms

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

Delete the folder you create under Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic and let the app create it. 

Inside RM use File>Save to Dropbox for Apps an it will make the folder correctly for you and add it in the correct location.

You will need to install the Dropbox App on your device in order for it to app in the RootsMagic App and be selected. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:06 PM

I am trying to get my RootsMagic file to my android phone (Samsung Galexy S III). What folder structure do I need to create and where does it need to go to get RM to find my .rmgc file? I created a Dropbox\Apps\Rootsmagic folder on my SDCard as well as on my phone and copied my .rmgc file into it but the app doesn't see it. This should be possible if it will see the file when copied down from dropbox. I shouldn't need to bother using dropbox. Especially since Dropbox says they "own the rights" to anything you put on their service per their EULA - so I don't use Drobox.

Thanks,

When the RM app for Androids was first made available, I put a tiny sample of my data on Dropbox. The app worked. I tried to find the file on my tablet and finally gave up. Where ever it is, the file is well hidden.

I would actually use the app without having to use Dropbox. Otherwise, it just sits there unused.

#13 rknechtel

rknechtel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:24 PM

Well I guess being a developer by trade (for 20+ years), I'll debug/sniff the whole thing and figure out where it's looking for the database when telling it to look for it locally). Knowing about Android programming - normally stuff gets stuck in the phones data directory or the SDCard's data directory or the root of the SDCard with a "." directory. I guess once I figure it out I'll post what to do. Using Dropbox to then pull the file down to the phone shouldn't be necessary.