• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Pielech

Jan Pielech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

Help please. I'm a brand new user. Installed the program. I think I did things in this order: 

Created a family file name, and put myself as the root person. Watched a webinar how to, and then enabled

FamilySearch option, and brought files over from my FamilySearch tree.

Now I seem to have a couple of duplicates. I myself show as #1 but also as #8 in the sidebar people list.

Both entries have all the ancestors behind them. So, being new I blindly tried to fix by going to the auto merge. Don't know what that did, but it didn't fix it.

Is my only recourse to just delete everything and start over?  Thanks,

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

If you are really in the database twice, as person #1 and as person #8, then you could delete one of the instances of yourself or do a manual merge of the two instances. I would recommend doing a manual merge of the two instances.

But first do verify that you are really in there twice. Don't just look at the sidebar. Bring yourself up as person #1 and then as person #8 in the main view to be sure it's really you in both cases. If it is, then do the manual merge. Highlight one of the instances of yourself in the main view. Tools->Merge->Manual Merge. At that point, the highlighted instance of yourself will be in the left window pane as the Primary Person and the Duplicate Person in the right window pane will be blank. Select the second instance of yourself as the Duplicate Person and complete the merge.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

It's best to do the FamilySearch Import into a blank new database. That is where the duplicate came from. Right now the only option is to merge any duplicates or start over. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jan Pielech

Jan Pielech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

Thanks C24M28. That did the trick.  

Thanks to all.

#5 kaffy123

kaffy123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

I was coming here to ask this same thing.  

Several of the people in my tree, when I uploaded the GED file to RootsMagic are now in the tree multiple times.  Quite a few are in the 7-9 x range.

When doing a manual merge a box pops up letting me know the same record can't be merged with the same record.

I deleted one of the duplicates to see if that would work, but it deleted that entry of the person and all the other instances of that person as well.  So, instead of 8 listings of the same person there are none and the entire record is gone.

Can someone help me?  There was a couple other things, but that was from last night and I don't remember them now.  I will later.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

Turn on this option:
Tools->File Options->Number to display after name->Record number (RIN)
Now distinctly different individuals will have different record numbers
Same record number, same individual

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Bill Peacock

Bill Peacock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

You may be seeing alternate names for the same person. Go to the edit person screen to see if that is what it is and if so delete the unneeded names.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

Here are the links to the webinar and magic guide on Fixing Incorrect Family Links. It will help you understand the different scenarios and how to fix them.

40. Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

7. Fixing Incorrect Family Links
http://rootsmagic.com/guides/

Renee
RootsMagic