• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 emanrao

emanrao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

I recently purchased RM7. When I saved a narrative report to my computer, all media linked to the family in my report was missing. The pictures were present on the "Report Viewer" screen before I saved the document to Word on my computer. This problem seemed to only occur with narrative reports. Other reports I saved to my computer showed all media linked to the family. Please help!  

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

Narrative reports will only display the primary photo for the person. In the report setting click on Options and make sure you have checked "Include photos"

Open the MediaTag and check that under the General Media that the image you want has the option "Primary photo for this person" checked.

Check if there are any red x's on the lower right corner of the images.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 emanrao

emanrao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

Hi Renee
Thank you for getting back to me. I do not have any red x's on any of my images. I also rechecked my images. All of them have "Primary photo for this person" checked. Do you have any other suggestions?
Eileen

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

I notice that you say all media linked to the family is missing. In the narrative report only the primary photo for a person should be displayed. All media will not display. 

If you see the media in the report viewer but not when you open Word then it maybe an issue with Word. What version do you have?

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 emanrao

emanrao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

Hi Renee!

The only media I have in the Media Gallery are photos in JPEG format. I am using Microsoft Word 10. I have been using Word 10 for a few years. I have had this issue with previous versions of Roots Magic. Sorry for any confusion. Do you have ay other suggestions?

Eileen

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

I'm a bit confused. You haven't given a step-by-step description of the problem, so I'm trying to work through this in my mind. I run RM 7.0.11.0 in Win 7 64-bit. I have both MSOffice 2003 and 2010 on my computer, but prefer to use the 2003 version because I just don't like the newer ribbon menu system.

I created a 4-generation descendant narrative report which included 2 primary photos. It displayed correctly in the RM viewer. I saved the report as an RTF file to my hard drive. It opened correctly, with images, in Word 2003 and in Word 2010.

Both of my images were saved at JPG. I added a dummy child with a PNG image and re-ran the narrative report and saved it as an RTF file. It opened correctly in Word 2010.

Word 2003 is identified in Help About as version 11.8411.8405. You called yours Word 10, so are you using an older version of MS Office? Or did you mean Word 2010?

I would suggest examining your image outside of RM. Try opening it with MS Paint and with Windows Photo Viewer. Inspect its properties in Windows Explorer. Is it possible that your image has an incorrect extension? What is the extension?

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

You could open a support ticket and include a backup with media. Then tell us which person to start the narrative report with so we can check it out. If you have a copy of your narrative report include that too. Then we can see if our version of Microsoft Office will display it.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

To emphasize a couple of points:
- No media tags to a family are output to narrative reports
- only the first media tag marked primary to a person is output to the narrative report
- no media tags to events, sources, citations, places, place details are output to narratives

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 emanrao

emanrao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

I got it to work!
Thank you for your suggestions.

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

That's great to hear. Can you identify what you did differently that led to your success? I'm sure I'm not the only one so curious....

#11 emanrao

emanrao

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

In Report Viewer I saved the report as a "Rich Text File". I was previously saving the report as a "Text File", which did not show my pictures.