Photo

Why do some people show up more than once in Index?

Index multiple entries

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jswild

jswild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

I have only recently migrated to RM.  I bought RM7 at RootsTech and migrated my Legacy database into it, apparently without issue.  Or is there an issue?

In the Index window I see some people more than once.  For instance, Ellen Higginbottom married Joseph Wild.  she shows up in the Index once as Higginbottom, Ellen and twice as Wild, Ellen with plus signs in blue boxes before her name like this:

[oops, forum software won't accept a screen clip for inclusion].

I guess the plus sign indicates this is a married name, but why does she appear twice under her married name?  I'm afraid to delete either of them in case the delete removes the underlying record and not just the redundant pointer to it.

And, while I'm on the subject, I would prefer not to see married name entries for persons at all.

Jim Wild

Olduvai Gorge or bust!

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

In the RootsMagic Explorer window, the bottom status bar has a checkbox entitled <Show alternate names in list>

The Sidebar also lists Alternate Names if the Index tab Options button setting for <Show alternate names> is checkmarked

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 jswild

jswild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:30 PM

Thanks, Kevin, I have turned off the alternate names and I like the list better now.

However, I'm still a little bothered by the multiple appearances of the married names when they were being displayed.  It was only a few of them that displayed twice.  It makes me wonder if there is something messy going on that should be fixed.  Do these women show up twice with their married name because there are, perhaps, two links between them and their husbands?  Is that a bad thing if it is so?

Jim Wild

Olduvai Gorge or bust!

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Anything with the plus sign to the left represents each instance of an Alternate Name fact.

No, there is no known "issue" with errant display of duplicates.

Highlight a "repeated" individual's Spouse in the Rootsmagic Explorer and check the lower right Family Members pane for duplicates

-or-

highlight that same Spouse most everywhere else and check the little infobox in the upper left corner (below the toolbars) for counts of Spouses

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 jswild

jswild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Well, it looks like Joseph Wild had only the one wife, Ellen Higginbottom.  The second instance of her name in the Index is just a quirk I will overlook (along with the others).  Since I have turned off alternate names this should not be too hard.

Thanks for your help, Kevin.

Jim Wild

Olduvai Gorge or bust!

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

Iwould check Ellen Higginbottom's Edit Person screen to see if there are two Alternate Name entries.

#7 jswild

jswild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:52 PM

Aha.  There are two Alt Name entries "Ellen WILD-1511".  I deleted one of them.  Then I went through the list and deleted a couple of hundred more.

Thanks.

Jim Wild

Olduvai Gorge or bust!