9 replies to this topic

#1 rwcrooks

rwcrooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

I have a couple of sources that I used extensively and when I upgraded from a prior version of RM the citation quality had more options.

I now have some citations with Don't Know, Secondary, Don't Know as the quality.  I would like to change them to Derivative, Secondary, Indirect.  They are from a family member who gave me trees without sources but I believe that she did the research.

Is there a way to mass change these citation qualities?

I can do a find everywhere with the word "vogt" which creates a list of all the citations.  And they're all hyper-linked to the citation.  But the hyper-link doesn't change color once you click on it and I can't filter out citations that I've already changed.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:35 PM

No such bulk change available in RootsMagic. It might be possible to do it in the GEDCOM exported from RM. It can certainly be done with a SQLite query.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 deckie49

deckie49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

Tom,

Might such a query be a good candidate for RMTrix?

#4 rwcrooks

rwcrooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

Well, it might be a good RM enhancement to change the color of a hyper-link once it's been clicked.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

Tom,

Might such a query be a good candidate for RMTrix?

It's not in the works. Actually, nothing is at the moment.

A concern about bulk changes to Citation Quality is that it is governed by the fact for which it is evidence. So, not all citations of the same source should necessarily be of the same quality.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3535 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

A concern about bulk changes to Citation Quality is that it is governed by the fact for which it is evidence. So, not all citations of the same source should necessarily be of the same quality.

Just a follow-on Tom's comment: I don't use the Citation Quality field provided by RM, although I know I should. Part of the reason is that it just sort of sits there and does nothing. It doesn't show up in any reports and it's not really "actionable", for example you cannot test it and take action based on the results of the test, you cannot you search for it and make groups. etc. You can see it yourself within your RM database, but that's it and it's pretty hard to see.

And as Tom pointed out, the same citation may have different quality depending on the fact for which it is evidence. So if you memorize and paste a citation, you may well create an incorrect Citation Quality. It might seem that my use of extremely split sources would aggravate this problem in my own use of RM because I put all the data I can in RM's Master Source rather than in the Source Details, and Citation Quality is stored in Source Details, and correctly so. But being an extreme source splitter doesn't really matter, because a source lumper will have the same problem after memorizing and pasting citations.

I think this issue has implications if ever RM were to implement something like "shared citations" such as are supported by FTM. With RM, if you memorize and paste a citation many times, it's hard to find them all and make changes or corrections to each one of them. With something like FTM's shared or citations or with my own extremely split sources, you can make changes or corrections only one time and the changes or corrections immediately apply to all occurrences. It's not clear to me how to maintain the ability to make changes or corrections to shared citations only one time while at the same time maintaining the notion that Source Quality is governed by the fact for which the source is evidence.

Jerry

#7 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:33 AM

...... I don't use the Citation Quality field provided by RM, although I know I should. Part of the reason is that it just sort of sits there and does nothing. It doesn't show up in any reports and it's not really "actionable", for example you cannot test it and take action based on the results of the test, you cannot you search for it and make groups. etc. .....

There are a number of RM features that just "sit there". Disputed and disproved parentage is one. You can't search for it. Charts and reports blow right past it like it wasn't there. Disputed facts are red-lined on the Edit Person window but otherwise do nothing. I've been asking for ways to use citation quality (although I dislike the system RM adopted*) to assess the quality of and find weak links in a lineage, but nothing has been forthcoming.  This is one of the reasons I didn't bother to "upgrade" to RM7. It was all bells and whistles and no meat.

*For instance, under the system RM adopted an actual census tract is "better" than the abstract of a will, although the censuses are known to contain many errors for many reasons. Wills tend to be carefully written, definitive proofs of relationships. 

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

There are a number of RM features that just "sit there".

I agree, one could compile quite a list.

It seems that when various new features were introduced the question "how will users find such instances or report them?" was not asked, considered or fulfilled.

This recently came up again regarding the lack of reporting of Place Details Notes and Media, finding items of filtering items where geocoding is blank also does not exist.

It's often overlooked but Fact Type > Print does contain Facts with a citation quality of: in the dropdown although again the result is a flat non interactive report, so of limited use. I did wish years ago for the facility to build a Named Group from the additional finds available through Fact Type > Print but so far that has not come about :(

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 rwcrooks

rwcrooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

TomH,

I have several sets of charts and narratives from different people concerning different lines.  While I believe that these are accurate because the information in them agrees with my research, so far, they are unsourced.  So, I would have to say that they are Derivative, Secondary, Indirect in all cases.  Now if I had an actual Marriage Certificate, or Census record, I agree that the different facts found on them would have different qualities.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

So you could devise a SQLite query that would set the quality for all citations of each of those master sources, even all at once if they shared some unique string or string pattern in their name or some other property exclusive to them.