• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cajungenes

cajungenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:36 AM

First, let me say I have tried to figure this out by myself.  I have googled, searched and read posts.  No success and much frustration. 

I am on a Macbook Air, version early 2015, RootsMagic version 7.0.11.0. 

I have been using TMG for several years and switched in January to RootsMagic.  The learning curve is steep, but I'm figuring most things out.

What I can't figure out is how to either "merge" duplicates into one person, or delete the "extra" person.  I downloaded my tree on Ancestry in gedcom form and imported it into RootsMagic.  This increased my normal person count by over 3000.  So I have 3000+ duplicates.

I ran all the data base utilities, I ran the automatic merge.  No help.  I discovered I can manually merge and delete individually, but with over 3000 I'm hoping there is a better way.

Thanks,

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:11 AM

I'm a Windows user, but I think the procedure I'd use would be the same on a Mac.

Go to Tools - Merge - Duplicate Search Merge

You'll be presented with a screen of comparison parameters - I use the defaults, which allow a couple years between dates - click [Search for duplicates]..

Since your merges are likely to include multiple person along branches of a tree, I take a screen capture of the search results (and close the search results window), paste it into Paint, and set that on the left side of my screen. I have RM on the right, and with a widescreen laptop, I can have both displayed side-by-side while working.

I like to begin my merging work work in Family View. Select a starting person, and merge with the duplicate.

Inspect for duplicate parents, and merge (if necessary). Work upwards until there are no more parents to be merged.

Switch to Descendants View, and work downwards, merging any duplicate spouses and children.

With 3000 duplicates, this process will be time consuming, and you'll periodically re-run the DSM to get a fresh list of who to work on.

Do backups periodically (I do, just in case I merge incorrect people).

Also, I run the File - Database Tools after every dozen or two of individual merges.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

On the Duplicate Search Merge you will want to adjust the settings so it will look more broader if you are not getting any suggestions.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

I discovered I can manually merge and delete individually, but with over 3000 I'm hoping there is a better way.

Friendly advice for going forward. Always do a Backup before allowing anything from the outside into your database. Also, it's really best to import a GEDCOM into a fresh new RM database, then drag and drop individuals or marked groups to your Master once you've cleaned up the temporary from all the potential mismatches that cause duplicates ... such as Place name variations, misspellings, excess spaces and extra carriage returns in Notes, ETC.. No sense wreaking havoc upon that hard work already accomplished.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

If you do have a backup from before the Ancestry import, and still have your Ancestry GEDCOM or access to the AFT, restore and start over. Importing into a new database allows you to use the File Compare utility or the selective drag'n'drop as Kevin advises.

If you do not have that backup, the fastest way to delete people in RootsMagic is in People View. Customize it to show Record Number and Date Last Edited as the first two columns. Sort on Rec# descending. The people imported from Ancestry will have the highest numbers and all the same date unless you have worked on them (e.g., merged the original into one). Delete one row at a time; you have to confirm each one. If you have a keystroke automater, you could speed up the process.

Otherwise, a SQLite query could be used to delete everyone having a Record number greater than some value.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 cajungenes

cajungenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

Friendly advice for going forward. Always do a Backup before allowing anything from the outside into your database. Also, it's really best to import a GEDCOM into a fresh new RM database, then drag and drop individuals or marked groups to your Master once you've cleaned up the temporary from all the potential mismatches that cause duplicates ... such as Place name variations, misspellings, excess spaces and extra carriage returns in Notes, ETC.. No sense wreaking havoc upon that hard work already accomplished.

This is REALLY good advice.  If I had done this first, it probably wouldn't mean as much as it does now. :)  I will definitely take your advice going forward. Thanks.

#7 cajungenes

cajungenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

If you do have a backup from before the Ancestry import, and still have your Ancestry GEDCOM or access to the AFT, restore and start over. Importing into a new database allows you to use the File Compare utility or the selective drag'n'drop as Kevin advises.

If you do not have that backup, the fastest way to delete people in RootsMagic is in People View. Customize it to show Record Number and Date Last Edited as the first two columns. Sort on Rec# descending. The people imported from Ancestry will have the highest numbers and all the same date unless you have worked on them (e.g., merged the original into one). Delete one row at a time; you have to confirm each one. If you have a keystroke automater, you could speed up the process.

Otherwise, a SQLite query could be used to delete everyone having a Record number greater than some value.

I don't have the backup, but I think I can recreate it. I don't know what an automater is, but I can get there the slower way.  Thanks for your advice.

#8 cajungenes

cajungenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

I'm a Windows user, but I think the procedure I'd use would be the same on a Mac.

Go to Tools - Merge - Duplicate Search Merge

You'll be presented with a screen of comparison parameters - I use the defaults, which allow a couple years between dates - click [Search for duplicates]..

Since your merges are likely to include multiple person along branches of a tree, I take a screen capture of the search results (and close the search results window), paste it into Paint, and set that on the left side of my screen. I have RM on the right, and with a widescreen laptop, I can have both displayed side-by-side while working.

I like to begin my merging work work in Family View. Select a starting person, and merge with the duplicate.

Inspect for duplicate parents, and merge (if necessary). Work upwards until there are no more parents to be merged.

Switch to Descendants View, and work downwards, merging any duplicate spouses and children.

With 3000 duplicates, this process will be time consuming, and you'll periodically re-run the DSM to get a fresh list of who to work on.

Do backups periodically (I do, just in case I merge incorrect people).

Also, I run the File - Database Tools after every dozen or two of individual merges.

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm going to do.  I appreciate the detailed simple to follow instructions.  I will print this out and follow it till finished.  Thank you very much.

#9 cajungenes

cajungenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:39 PM

On the Duplicate Search Merge you will want to adjust the settings so it will look more broader if you are not getting any suggestions.

Not sure what you mean by suggestions.  If you mean duplicates, it finds plenty, over 3000 in a database of 16,000. :)

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

I don't have the backup, but I think I can recreate it. I don't know what an automater is, but I can get there the slower way.  Thanks for your advice.

Google "keystroke automator" and I think you will find you have one on your Mac. If deleting 3000 people means 9000 or 12000 keystrokes, I would be concerned for my carpal tunnel.

Another approach might be to create a named group comprising everyone with a Record # lower than the start of the people imported and select that group in the Export dialog. Import the GEDCOM to a new database. The recent AFT imports will have been left behind.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 cajungenes

cajungenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:04 AM

Google "keystroke automator" and I think you will find you have one on your Mac. If deleting 3000 people means 9000 or 12000 keystrokes, I would be concerned for my carpal tunnel.

Another approach might be to create a named group comprising everyone with a Record # lower than the start of the people imported and select that group in the Export dialog. Import the GEDCOM to a new database. The recent AFT imports will have been left behind.

#12 cajungenes

cajungenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:11 AM

I like the idea of sorting by numbers. I have noticed all of the Ancestry imports have much higher numbers. This could save me a lot of work.

Part of the problem for me was switching to new genealogy software for the first time and switching from PC's to Mac at the same time. But, I've received some excellent advice and learned some valuable lessons. Btw, you are right about the wear and tear on my hands, too. Except it's not my wrists it's my thumb from doing 'control' 'tab' over and over for hours...lol

#13 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

All I can say is that I feel your pain. At one time, long ago, when I was naive, I hastily imported a bunch of "stuff" from Ancestral File. It took me years to get it reasonably well weeded out. In fact, just a few weeks ago I found some of it I had put off, "'till later" and finally deleted several hundred of these individuals. I would suggest you start by deleting as many as possible. Then merge the duplicates very carefully. 

These days I'm much more circumspect about importing GEDCOM data.

#14 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

All I can say is .... 

These days I'm much more circumspect about importing GEDCOM data.

Agreed.

#15 cajungenes

cajungenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the excellent advice.  I think I will definitely give careful consideration before importing anything into my database, even if it's from me. :)

Hard to believe I did this to my self.  But, the most painful lessons are well learned. I don't think I will forget this one anytime soon.

Thanks again

Cyndie