• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dbcompton

dbcompton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

I am looking for a report that tests each Web Tag in the local database and lists only those that are not found, i.e. a 404 response.  Does such a report exist?  I am particularly interested in those pages that do not come from Family Search.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

There isn't a report that will give you a list of web links no longer active. There is a WebTags report with the hyperlinks. If there is software out there that would go through the list of links you could have them all listed to use. Save it as a RTF to open in Microsoft Word or as a HTML or TXT file so whatever program you use can access the links. I just don't know of a program to test all the links.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

Good suggestion. Google "bulk link checker" (sans quotes) and you will find some free software.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 dbcompton

dbcompton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

Thanks!

The bulk link checkers that I found allow manual or very limited checking in the free version and generally accept web pages or sites as input in the paid version.  Neither is really appropriate for the RM environment.

I use two applications (not genealogy related) that have a compiled-in URL checker. This would be a great enhancement for RootsMagic!

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3489 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

If you turn the Webtags report into either a:

◾tab delimited text file of URLs
-or-
◾comma separated text file of URLs

You can use AM-DeadLink ( http://aignes.com/deadlink.htm )

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N