16 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

The following was posted on the RootsMagic blog - http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=261

RootsMagic and Ancestry: Working Together at Last

Recently, the genealogy world was rocked with the news that Ancestry would be parting with their “Family Tree Maker” (FTM) genealogy software. Thousands of FTM users have since made the switch to RootsMagic. But the question everyone has been asking has been, “Will any other software be able to search and synchronize with Ancestry the same way that Family Tree Maker did?”

Today, we finally have an answer to that question- “Yes!” We’re pleased to announce that we will be working with Ancestry to bring these features to RootsMagic in the near future.

What does this mean for you?

Search – RootsMagic will be the only software besides FTM to search Ancestry’s extensive collections of historical records from around the world and let you download those records into your own file.

Sync – RootsMagic will be the only software besides FTM to let you share data between your RootsMagic files on your computer with your personal Ancestry online trees. You’ll also be able to download people, events, and even pictures from Ancestry onto your computer through RootsMagic.

Import – RootsMagic will be able to directly import your Family Tree Maker files, without having to go through an intermediate GEDCOM file, giving you the cleanest, most complete transfer of your data. RootsMagic will also be able to download your online trees from Ancestry.

Selected Frequently Asked Questions:

Will I have to buy a new version of RootsMagic to use these features?

If you are using the paid version of RootsMagic 7, these features will be included in a free update to that version.  If you are using a version of RootsMagic older than 7, you will need to purchase an upgrade to 7 to use the features.

Will the sync work exactly like TreeSync in FTM?

Ancestry is working on a new API that both RootsMagic and FTM will be switching to (“API” is a fancy word for the system with which Ancestry can communicate with other products).

The API is still in development, buy syncing in both RootsMagic and FTM will likely be a bit different than the current “TreeSync”.  It will still allow you to share names, events, notes, sources, and even media between RootsMagic and Ancestry.

Please visit www.rootsmagic.com/ancestry for more information.

Renee
RootsMagic

#2 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

THIS IS VERY MISLEADING

0swIpTZ.png

When you guys say NOW YOU CAN that implies that it is working NOW not SOON like your website says... is there a version floating around out there that syncs?  I sure don't see it and the e-mail that I got this morning says that it is working now.

I am sure this is a simple mistake, but with all the people abandoning ship from FTM Now means Now... and they don't want to purchase a product and find out that it's coming soon (later).

Allen

#3 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

I figured out the problem - the advertisement is from family tree magazine... could this be a plot to cause you guys trouble???  Hmmm???

Anyhow it's very misleading.

5JS7QvU.png

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

The RootsMagician has contacted them to correct it, though I don't know what can be done with the mass emails they sent out.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:50 AM

What about those of us who use Ancestry.co.uk? Shall we be able to sync with that?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

The parent company is Ancestry.com so I would think the API they create for us would allow all versions of Ancestry to sync.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:35 AM

Renee Zamora, on 16 Feb 2016 - 7:11 PM, said:

The RootsMagician has contacted them to correct it, though I don't know what can be done with the mass emails they sent out.

Renee,

You guys know I'm a bit protective of you... <LOL>  but wow did I ever think I hit the jackpot.

Allen

#8 fluffy82

fluffy82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:51 AM

Hey guys,

as a veteran FTM user, I just bought RootsMagic after hearing that the feature I use most (the synch with ancestry) will be possible with RM as well in the near future.
I use it for several reasons:

1) I find their database of images and transcriptions to be larger and better organised than FamilySearch (I know many of you will disagree lol)
2) with the online tree I have access to my tree from any computer so I can work on it even at work or at my parents' place
3) the automatic import of images, sources and connected facts saves me a lot of time

Some of the features of RM which I want to use, and which were unavailable on ancestry, is the creation of witnesses. Next to that, I suppose I'll have to double check and correct all place names since both programs probably use different databases, and I would like to change all the separate "residence" facts which were created by FTM/ancesty into a shared census fact, per family.

This will be a hell of a lot of work, having over 35.000 people in my tree, including over 4.000 census images... I will start with my direct ancestors, and work my way through the rest gradually. It will probably take years to finish.

As it will take a long time, I would prefer to start doing it asap. But the synch is not available yet, and I want to avoid double work. I suppose that, as was the case with FTM, you will only be able to download a tree from ancestry into RM or upload an RM tree into ancestry, not link two existing trees together. What do you suggest I do?

option 1: already import my FTM tree into RM, start working on the changes I want to make (adding witnesses etc), and when it becomes available import a new tree from and linked to ancestry, and compare (or merge?) both to copy the changes I have made in the "old" RM tree to the "new" tree which is linked with ancestry

option 2: just wait and only start working on RM once the sync will be possible, on the tree downloaded from and synched with ancestry

This of course also depends on the timing: waiting for RM would be less interesting if the link is planned in autumn, while it would be perfectly doable if it will be possible next month.

Thank you for your advice!

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

This of course also depends on the timing: waiting for RM would be less interesting if the link is planned in autumn, while it would be perfectly doable if it will be possible next month.

Import of FTM 2008-2014 files appears to be arriving within the next few weeks ----> http://forums.rootsm...-maker/?p=78423

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

I wonder if RM's sync with ancestry.com will really be a true sync with ancestry.com that's truly automatic. I may not understand how FTM's sync with ancestry.com works, but my perception is that it's pretty much automatic in all respects. If you change a date or add a person or delete a person or add an event or delete an event or add a source or add an image etc. in either FTM or ancestry.com, my perception is that the sync is pretty much complete between the two. I don't think you have to go behind it and do any further cleanup. Perhaps someone who already syncs between FTM and ancestry.com could comment further if my perception is correct.

None of the syncs or merges that are presently supported in RM really work in such a complete and transparent fashion. With RM's merges, you have to do major cleanup after the merges. With RM's interface with FSFT, you pretty much have to manually move lots of individual pieces of data and there is no real automatic sync when a piece of data changes one place or the other.

There are valid reasons for the way RM works. For example, with RM's interface with FSFT you are not syncing between your RM database on your desktop computer and a copy of your RM database that is stored at FSFT. Rather, you are moving data back and forth between your RM database and a single tree at FSFT that is shared by all FSFT users. That's not to say that RM's interface with ancestry.com couldn't be a pretty complete and automatic sync. It's just that RM does't presently "think" that way.

Jerry

#11 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

The parent company is Ancestry.com so I would think the API they create for us would allow all versions of Ancestry to sync.

Thanks, Renee.

#12 weishaupt

weishaupt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

Hi

Question;

Do I understand correctly than I will in the future be able to upload my RM tree to Ancestry? Was about to try to do that somehow now - after a long time building on RM. Maintaining both seemed impossible so gave up.

What happens to Notes and Media and Sources?

In Media of course you find .doc .pdf  .jpeg .mpg .pps.

What does the upload from RM to Ancestry actually mean?

Thanks for any insight - hard for me to understand - out of touch for sure.

thank you

Bill

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

Right now we can't answer your questions on how the Ancestry Sync will work or what it will include. Our developers don't even have the new API Ancestry is working on. We can only work with what Ancestry gives us in the end. If they have the feature available in their API we will support it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 sonya

sonya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:29 AM

No doubt many FTM genies will be delighted with the news of the parting of the ways or is that waves...I, for one, was both pleased and disappointed after I purchased my copy of RootsMagic. I was pleased to escape the binding ties of ancestry but disappointed to see that RM has a relationship with the dreaded constricting Anc. Still, I shall reserve further comments until I have 'got-a-holt' of this new software, since I have been disappointed before. AND I shall not be down or up loading or syncing and especially I won't be sinking with Anc. I want nothing to do with Anc. ever

#15 sonya

sonya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:36 AM

Hi Renee, family researchers are clever people so they'll work it out.

#16 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:34 AM

I was pleased to escape the binding ties of ancestry but disappointed to see that RM has a relationship with the dreaded constricting Anc. 

It's very difficult to see how the relationship will have any adverse effects on RM users. The sync feature between RM and ancestry.com doesn't exist yet (but it's coming). When it comes, if you don't want to use it then simply don't use it. If you use RM without using the sync then it should be as if the sync capability didn't exist.

Jerry

#17 mleroux

mleroux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

It's very difficult to see how the relationship will have any adverse effects on RM users.

Jerry, I presume you mean no adverse affects other than the very high probability that the limited RM development team will be focused on ancestry, leaving little time for resolving bugs or wish list items that might benefit other RM users

Marc
Always learning and loving the discovery process. Focusing on the Huntingdon and Soulanges areas of Quebec - O'Connor/Leroux/Walsh/McCann/Savage/Lalonde/Lauzon