• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 rknechtel

rknechtel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:14 PM

For printing to PDF I have -always- used PDFCreator. Its free/open source and installs as a printer. So you can print from -anything- to PDF. When you get the printer prompt - just select "PDFCreator" as your printer.

#22 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

kbens0n

Has anyone gotten this to work on a Mac running RM7 under Crossover?

I have been able to create a test chart but had to open it in GraphicConverter because that is all I had that would open a emf file. I was then able to save as pdf.

Before I get into it do you think this will work.

Roger

#23 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

It seems to work fine with RM7 on a Mac using Graphic Converter to do the conversion. I am taking a pdf to Staples this afternoon to see how it looks when printed.

One question.

At Staples the size for the paper is 36 x 48. My chart is only 24" wide. I can change the canvas to this size but

Is there a way to center my chart rather than have it all on the left side with about a foot of blank paper on the right? Maybe Staples can do this I will ask when I get there.

Thanks

Roger

#24 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

Roger, I'm not a Mac guy, so I can only guess that centering or resizing to larger dimensions would have to be available as options in GraphicsConverter, however it may only have "viewer capabilities" for that format. On Windows those extra functions are available in PowerPoint. I suspect that Staples can still zoom and drag your resultant .PDF to produce a chart with maximum space used for the 36 x 48 paper. Please let us know, here in this forum post, the outcome of your Mac charting attempt.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#25 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

When I was at OfficeMax they were able to adjust it to fit the paper they had. So a good customer service person at Staples should be trained on how to do that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#26 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

OK You'all

I just got back from Staples. I created a ancestry chart starting with my son and went back 6 generations. I needed it to fit on 36 x 48 inch paper as that was what was fairly cheap at Staples.

I added my sons 3 sisters. Fiddled with it until it showed a canvas size of 32 1/2 X 47 which I thought would be about as close as I could get. The service person at Staples was great.

I exported as .emf file from RM Chart then loaded that into GraphicConverter and saved as .pdf put it on a thumb drive. All on a iMac. 

Staples printed it out and it cost $6.00 and turned out great. I'm going to get 2 half inch dowel rods or something and tape one to the top and bottom of the chart then hang it up somewhere. It is bigger than I expected so I have to find somewhere to hang it so I may have to tape it to the wall.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time but just could not get my head around it until this thread.

Thanks

All

Roger

#27 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:38 PM

Now that you have me started a question

Is there a way to insert the current date into a text so that you will know when the chart was created?

Roger

#28 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

Inside RootsMagic Chart go to Insert > Text. You can place the text box anywhere you wish on the chart and add the current date.

Renee
RootsMagic

#29 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:48 PM

I don't think I explained myself

How do I insert the current date so that it will automagicly update to the correct date each time you print the report. I don't want to have to change the date each time.

Or maybe I don't know where the current date is found you are refering to?

#30 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

There is no automatic date functions anywhere in the program.
Renee literally means you must enter the current date manually and can use the Insert > text function to place that anywhere (or many places) in the report output.
Automatic date functions are already part of the Wish List requests that have been recorded for possible inclusion in future versions of RootsMagic.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#31 Hinson

Hinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

I have never been able to get anything other than a very basic and small chart to print correctly. Photos look horrible. I switched to FTM and I just created a 2' x 44' descendant chart (pdf) that looks terrific, photos and all. Automatically puts created by and date in upper left corner.  Original chart was only about 6" by 11' but I have access to a wide format printer and it takes 24" (or larger rolls) so I enlarged it i photoshop. I have both RM and FTM on my 'puter and if the sync on RM works, I'll probably use that as my desktop program but I'll keep FTM for Charts. 

#32 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

Probably the main reason I purchased RM7 is to be able to take a file (eg PDF) to a local printer to have printout a nice colourful wall chart. I am sensing it not that easy?

I have only just started using RM7 and thrown in just 3 generations to start experimenting with what chart options exist. Eventually I am looking to print out 13 generationsjust name date of birth on a very large printer. The local printer can easily do 4' wide and as long as you want.

Is there a limit to how many generations you can print out?

Thus far I have not found a chart that looks graphically nice, maybe I have not dug deep enough. I do not want to input 300 odd names only to find there isn't a polished graphical output. Am I missing something in the chart output setup?

I note that some people are exporting GEDCOM files from RM7 in other genealogy programs to achieve a graphically pleasing chart.

Cheers,

Ian

#33 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

For printing to PDF I have -always- used PDFCreator. Its free/open source and installs as a printer. So you can print from -anything- to PDF. When you get the printer prompt - just select "PDFCreator" as your printer.

I have PDFCreator I will give it a try. Failing which there is a UK based Genealogy company that offers a PDF service and have a number of different chart styles and types. Just send them the GEDCOM file and they convert to PDF with your chosen chart style and type.

It may be I will use this service as I currently can not find a RM7 style that does it for me. I will give the PDFCreator a try thou. It would be important to set the correct size media in PDF before printing a PDF file so your printing company can print in high resolution.

Ian

#34 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

Anyone using Charting Companion from Progeny to create their large printed charts?

Looks like an interesting addition to compliment RM and extends the charting options considerably. Still looks to be compatible with RM7.

Interesting is a video that Bruce did on CC he mentions that it was an available program to buy via RM from the "other" in the online shop. Doesn't appear to there now?

Progeny states that it is compatible from RM 4.0 upward. Just wondering why CC doesn't seem to be mention in this thread a an option for printing large wall charts via PDF?

Ian

#35 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

I have used Charting Companion to product an additional report for a family reunion, along with RM for the main report. The only additional report that was significant enough for my purposes was the fan chart, and it's an excellent report. But to tell you the truth, I would rather that RM's efforts went into improving basic reports like narrative reports rather than the efforts going into fancy reports like fan reports.

Jerry

#36 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

Thank you Kevin! I had occasion yesterday to create a single page wall chart pdf and could only get multipage. So I searched the forum recalling that VirginiaBl had posted a procedure which I found in this thread along with your PowerPoint fiddle. Noting that Virginia's required setting the default printer to the PDF printer and restarting RM while yours simply required PowerPoint which I have as the Desktop 2016 version, I tried yours. Worked great. For comfortable onscreen reading of text, Adobe Reader was set to 300% zoom. Given its max of 6400%, the process could support a ~21x wider chart. This one was 11' wide according to RM Chart. I haven't tried printing.

The secret to printing a single-page PDF in most of the virtual PDF print drivers is finding the setting to create a custom-size paper format larger than your chart(s).
An important side-note: You can do File->Export from RMChart and save an .EMF file (a vector graphics file format that is designed to be basically, infinitely expandable with no loss of detail).
Any graphics program that supports viewing, editing or embedding .EMF files can possibly be a source for printing too (although single-page may not be supported).

Here's the routine I've developed, because I happen to have MS Office 2010 and Powerpoint supports .EMF files and prints to PDF. I do this:
1. Export .EMF file from RMChart
2. Open Powerpoint and (for me) it opens a newly created slide ( if not for you, do File->New->Blank presentation->Create )
3. Then:
-a. On the Home tab, click Layout and choose Blank
-b. On the Design tab, click Page Setup, choose <Slides sized for:> scroll the dropdown to select Custom
-c. Enter 15.68 and 20.89 (inches) for <Width:> and <Height:>, then OK
-d. On the Insert tab, click Picture, browse to saved .EMF file, click Insert
-e. Finally, on File tab, choose Save As and scroll <Save as type:> dropdown to select PDF (*.pdf) then SAVE
-f. There's your single-page PDF (at 6400 % zoom of original, it still looks great)

NOTE: As a one-time thing, I actually created a blank single slide at the maximum (real) size Powerpoint supports (20.889" x 15.681") and did File->Save As-> MAXSLIDESIZE.PPTX ...so that I can just reuse it ( with File->New->New from existing->Open->MAXSLIDESIZE.PPTX ) whenever I'm generating a new slide for a new chart (be sure to Save As, not overwrite your template). I also actually have the free, full Foxit Reader package installed which adds a virtual PDF printer and even integrates with MS Office. Additionally, one can even go more technical in Powerpoint by right-clicking upon the embedded .EMF object to change its Size and Position (make the object as large as the slide's height or width , position, ETC.) and there are Ungroup features for embedded vector graphics that unlock ways to drag individual pieces of the embedded chart components to change orientation further, etc.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#37 GWild

GWild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

CutePDF Writer - a free PDF 'printer' that works with any Windows application since it installs as a printer.

One of the page sizes in its list is 24"x108" ... among other more standard sizes both Euro and US.

#38 rknechtel

rknechtel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

Use PDFCreator - it's free and Open Source. It's is a PDF Printer Driver. It allows you to print ANYTHING to PDF as if you were printing to a printer. I use specifically for printing PDF's.