• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

I would like to create a pdf file that I can take to an office supply store and have printed on a 2 foot wide roll printer. I would like to create the file from the wall chart using the ancestors option. Has anyone been able to do this? If so I would like to understand the process. I recently downloaded a pdf printer application but so far I haven't been able to get it to work.

#2 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

CEOTX

There are a couple of critical steps to the use of the PDF printer.  Before you start RootsMagic you must set the PDF printer as the default Windows printer (in Devices and Printers on the Windows Start menu). At the same time, set the paper size in the printer using the printer preferences.  Choose PostScript Custom Page size and set the page size to 200 width and 200 height. 

Then you create the chart in RootsMagic, using the RM chart editor to get and make a note of the actual size of the chart.  To get the actual size of the chart, on the menu select File / Chart Properties.

Pseudo PDF printers differ slightly, but the concept is the same in each case - making the PDF printer the default and setting the postscript paper size before opening RM and creating the chart.

Let us know how it goes and if you run into problems or have more questions.

Virginia

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:08 AM

Doesn't the wall chart have an option to just save a PDF file? You just stick this file on a thumb drive and sneaker-net (or upload) the file to the printing service or store? 

#4 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

Don,

I didn't see pdf as an option and there is an export feature but pdf isn't an option there either. I used to use software called The Master Genealogist and it had a capability to export to a pdf printer but when I upgraded to Windows 10 I get an error message so I transferred my data to Roots Magic but now I can't seem to print.

I would think maybe someone else has successfully done this and could suggest a software printer that is compatible with Roots magic.

#5 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

The Roots Magic _box_ charts (simple small charts) have an option to save as PDF.

Larger, more complicated and editable Roots Magic _wall_ Charts_ only have the option to save as a RootsMagic chart file -  a file extension (*.rmc) which chart printing services are not likely to accommodate.  Thus the need to 'Print' the chart to PDF (a format routinely used by most printing services).

TMG has a charting module similar to RM and uses the same PDF-printer method as RM for saving and printing a chart.

Virginia 

#6 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

Virginia,

Is there a free pdf software that you know will work???

#7 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

Any of these should work: PDF995, CutePDF, BullZip.  They all probably have free versions.  Try PDF 995.

If you run into problems, you might find answers on the VCF forum for TMG.  The RM wall chart software is very much like TMG's Visual Chartform. There are several discussions on that forum on using PDF printers.

Virginia

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1467 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

I have used BullZip successfully to take wall charts to a local print shop with alarge format printer.

#9 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

Since I never actually sent a wall chart out for printing I just assumed that there would be a PDF output. It seems that there is not. Have you asked your printing service if they can accommodate any of the other formats the wall chart will export? (e.g. *.emf, *.png, *.jpg)

#10 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

OK - download Bullzip and it doesn't work any better than the free ones I tried. I'm guessing its a Windows 10 problem.

Virginia,

I'll try the VCF forum for TMG. Maybe someone there has it working on windows 10.

#11 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

zhangrau

When you setup Bullzip did you have a choice on the Postscript Custom setup page for "Cut Sheet" or "Roll Feed"? which did you select? On mine Roll Feed is greyed out and when I look at my print output my ancestor chart is three pages instead of one.

#12 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

Don

Regarding your comment about using the other formats, I did that a couple of years ago and was disappointed because the text was blurry. PDF seems to be able to be enlarged without blurring the fonts.

#13 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

CEOTX

Go to the message below and click on the link in that message to read the instructions (no need to download) for saving a chart to PDF.  This is for TMG but applies to RM charts:

http://www.whollygen...pdf/#entry59391

Note you do not want to get involved with Postscript custom settings like  'cut sheet' or 'roll feed'.  Follow the simple steps in the article referred to in the link above.

Virginia

#14 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

Windows 10 automatically installs the Microsoft Print to PDF driver.  It will be listed among your printer destinations.

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

The secret to printing a single-page PDF in most of the virtual PDF print drivers is finding the setting to create a custom-size paper format larger than your chart(s).
An important side-note: You can do File->Export from RMChart and save an .EMF file (a vector graphics file format that is designed to be basically, infinitely expandable with no loss of detail).
Any graphics program that supports viewing, editing or embedding .EMF files can possibly be a source for printing too (although single-page may not be supported).

Here's the routine I've developed, because I happen to have MS Office 2010 and Powerpoint supports .EMF files and prints to PDF. I do this:
1. Export .EMF file from RMChart
2. Open Powerpoint and (for me) it opens a newly created slide ( if not for you, do File->New->Blank presentation->Create )
3. Then:
-a. On the Home tab, click Layout and choose Blank
-b. On the Design tab, click Page Setup, choose <Slides sized for:> scroll the dropdown to select Custom
-c. Enter 15.68 and 20.89 (inches) for <Width:> and <Height:>, then OK
-d. On the Insert tab, click Picture, browse to saved .EMF file, click Insert
-e. Finally, on File tab, choose Save As and scroll <Save as type:> dropdown to select PDF (*.pdf) then SAVE
-f. There's your single-page PDF (at 6400 % zoom of original, it still looks great)

NOTE: As a one-time thing, I actually created a blank single slide at the maximum (real) size Powerpoint supports (20.889" x 15.681") and did File->Save As-> MAXSLIDESIZE.PPTX ...so that I can just reuse it ( with File->New->New from existing->Open->MAXSLIDESIZE.PPTX ) whenever I'm generating a new slide for a new chart (be sure to Save As, not overwrite your template). I also actually have the free, full Foxit Reader package installed which adds a virtual PDF printer and even integrates with MS Office. Additionally, one can even go more technical in Powerpoint by right-clicking upon the embedded .EMF object to change its Size and Position (make the object as large as the slide's height or width , position, ETC.) and there are Ungroup features for embedded vector graphics that unlock ways to drag individual pieces of the embedded chart components to change orientation further, etc.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:56 PM

Virginia,

I tried that days ago. It doesn't work as it expects the pdf printer to show up in my list of printers. None of the pdf printers I have downloaded show up. And when I try to add a printer Windows can't find them. However they show up as options when I try to print.

#17 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

kbens0n

Thanks - I will try that and let you know if it works for me.

#18 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

Ludlow Bay

The microsoft pdf printer doesn't seem to support the roll printer format that I would be using at an office supply.

#19 CEOTX

CEOTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

kbens0n

Wow!!! Thanks. Finally I can see everything on one pdf page.

Now I will take it to the office supply and see how well it prints.

Really appreciate the tip about using power point.

#20 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

I tried the process described by kbenson and my results were lacking.  I was able to create the PDF file, but even at full magnification, I could not read any text, just black bars.  Wondering if anyone has any ideas about what I could try next?  should I increase the width and height dimensions?  If so, what is the max I can use?