• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Running RM 7.5.4, I want to create a custom report with "Relationship" as the last column. However, I'm finding that yes, the column is created correctly but no, the data for the column is not filled in even though I've specified "Relationship" as the data to insert in the report configuration. If I manually copy the Relationship Indicator text (from the lower left corner) into each person's individual record - the Relationship event, then the proper text appears in the report as long as the Root person is not changed. This may be a "Dynamic" constraint that Jerry Bryan described in another post, but here an "Autofill" option sure would be nice.

I understand Relationship changes are "on the list", but I hope it won't be too long. This sounds kind of basic and helpful to many if done.

#22 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

The Relationship from the lower left hand corner of the screen is not supported by custom reports. It sounds like you have created a custom fact called Relationship and that you are populating in manually. Such a fact would be supported by custom reports.

However, I don't understand exactly how you are populating the field manually. I am not able to copy the field from the lower left hand corner of the screen so as to copy it and paste it. The only way I know to populate such a field manually is to type it in. I may not be understanding the situation correctly, in which case my apologies in advance.

In any case, if I'm guessing correctly and if you have a custom fact called Relationship, then it will not be populated automatically. This is a very different situation than whether the Set Relationship tool is updated statically or dynamically.

Jerry

#23 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:45 AM

Jerry - Thanks for your clarification... I suspected my list of Events (birth, marriage, death, etc.) was a non-standard list. My relationship event must have come from an outside source on some import I'd done in the past. I suspected something was funny, since several are mis-spellings that I did not create.

Beyond all that, I'm puzzled how to create a Custom Report with a column that lists a relationship (to a root person or other base). For example, "My Relatives Buried in XXX Cemetery".

Suggestions?

/Peter

#24 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

Jerry - Thanks for your clarification... I suspected my list of Events (birth, marriage, death, etc.) was a non-standard list. My relationship event must have come from an outside source on some import I'd done in the past. I suspected something was funny, since several are mis-spellings that I did not create.

Beyond all that, I'm puzzled how to create a Custom Report with a column that lists a relationship (to a root person or other base). For example, "My Relatives Buried in XXX Cemetery".

Suggestions?

/Peter

#25 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

The key to understanding Custom Reports is that there are two different tasks required to create any Custom Report.

• One task is to select which people will appear in the report. It's a subtle point, but you can't select cemeteries or states or counties or surnames or dates, etc. You have to select people. The criterion can be "people buried in XXX cemetery" or "people born in Texas" or "people born before 1850". But it's still the people you are selecting. This may seem like a difference without a distinction, but it's important. For example, you can't go into the Place List and make a Custom Report about a particular cemetery. Instead, you essentially have to go into the People List and make a custom report about people who were buried in that cemetery.
  • The other task is to create a format for the report. A Custom Report is a columnar or tabular report, and you have to select which data you want displayed in each column.

The two tasks are very much independent of each other. You can use the same group of people with several different report formats. You can use the same report format with several different groups of people.

For a report on "People Buried in XXX Cemetery", I have to ask whether you are storing cemetery information as Place data or as Place Details data. Whichever it is, you select the people in RM's Find dialog by selecting Burial Place->Contains->XXX Cemetery or Burial Place Details->Contains->XXX Cemetery as appropriate. You can make your selection of people just in the dialog for Custom Reports, in which case your selection is not remembered beyond the current RM session. Or you can make your selection of people as a part of making a Named Group in RM, in which case your selection is remembered beyond the current RM session. I usually prefer the Named Group approach. But remember that even though RM's Named Groups are remembered, a group is not updated automatically if you add new people to your database.

You create the format of a report with a tool which which is a point and click, "draw a picture of your report" type of tool. You select your columns and their widths. For your "People Buried in XXX Cemetery Report", your columns probably going to be something like Last Name, First Name, and  Burial Place (or Burial Place Details if you do it that way). Creating the format is easy to do but it's hard to describe in words because it's so visual. Just play with it. One trick is that the tool gives you two rows. The first row in the tool is for the title of each column and the second row in the tool is for the content of each column. Essentially, the first row in the tool specifies what is at the top of every page in your report and the second row of the tool specifies what is in every other row of the report, all the way down each page.

Finally, I have tiptoed around the fact that you want "Relatives Buried at XXX Cemetery" and I gave you "People Buried at XXX Cemetery". It's likely that "People Buried at XXX Cemetery" is adequate for your needs because you are unlikely to have entered people into your database who are buried in the cemetery unless you are related to them. But if you really want to stick with just relatives, the selection criteria that are available to you are things like ancestors and descendants. Relatives are not a selection criterion, and you have to use things like ancestors and descendants to back your way into the concept of relatives. So when you are selecting your group of people, you can do something like first selecting (marking) yourself, all your ancestors, and all the descendants of all your ancestors. This will probably be a humongous number of people, but it can be done all at one go. You don't have to select each person individually. Then while still in the process of selecting your people, unselect (unmark) everyone who was NOT buried at XXX Cemetery. The people remaining marked at this point should be "Relatives Buried at XXX Cemetery".

Jerry

#26 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

Thanks again Jerry. I've accomplished what I need and expressed in my first note in this chain in Feb 2016 - to list all my relatives in one specific cemetery. I've done it manually for the 140+ individuals involved, but I don't want to repeat the process for a dozen more cemeteries. There ought to be a better way. Since PAF already does this, I can always expert from RM to PAF and run the report there.

I'm dealing with a large (to me) database of ~64k individuals, so selecting all ancestors and their descendants results in the need to delete individually thousands of folks - not something I want to do once, let alone several times.

Renee Zamora says improvements to the handling of Relationships is "on the list", so we'll just have to wait. Thanks again,

/Peter