25 replies to this topic

#1 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

Suggestion - Add a column "Relationship to Root Person" in Custom Reports:

PAF had this feature... Build a custom list of who's in a certain cemetery and see at once how many relatives you have buried there. Specify 2nd great grandfather, 3rd cousin 3 times removed, no relationship (or blank), etc. Custom Reports would treat "Relationship" in a manner similar to the other "Facts" in the Report's design.

The Relationship Chart exists, so the logic should be transferrable to the Custom Report - right?

/Peter

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list.

I use the Reference Number fact to add a relationship code to everyone in my database to me. Then I can display that after a person's name in reports. I am always able to tell how I am related to someone.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 rknechtel

rknechtel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

Is it possible to display the "Relationship to Root Person" in the main RM screen when you select an individual - similar to how it works in FTM?

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

It is, if you use Renee's technique of documenting it in the Reference No.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

Set Relationships under Tools will place the blood relationship in the lower left corner of the main window. As you highlight a person the relationship will show.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

Love that "Set Relationships!"  Just what I was looking for, and it's better than FTM's implementation!

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#7 rknechtel

rknechtel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

Thank you - that worked perfectly!

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:15 PM

Set Relationships under Tools will place the blood relationship in the lower left corner of the main window. As you highlight a person the relationship will show.

I think it's been mentioned before on these forums, but including the relationship data in a larger font and higher on the screen would be a big help. There is a tremendous amount of empty space in the upper 1/4 or so of all the main RM views. And if/when RM's groups ever become more dynamic, RM's Set Relationships would also be a good candidate for becoming more dynamic.

Jerry

#9 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

The "enhancement list" was mentioned earlier in this thread - any progress to report yet? /Peter

#10 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Why won't RM include the spouse of a blood relative as a relationship? The other software program I am leaving not only shows "3rd cousin twice removed" as a relationship to me, but his wife is listed as "spouse of 3rd cousin twice removed". This way everyone in the database has a relationship to me. When viewing people or running a name list it it makes it difficult to understand relationsips.

Ted

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

I am confirming it is on the enhancement request list to add non-blood relationships. You can use the Kinship List to get more than what "Set Relationships" or the "Relationship Calculator" gives.

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:53 PM

Renee,

Thank you. After my post I did discover the non-blood relations on the Kinship report. That is certainly a huge help. Having it appear on pedigree views would be frosting on the cake.

#13 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

Renee - If you're confirming "non-blood" relationships is on the development list, what about adding specific kinds of relationships like ancestors, spouse of...,  uncles/aunts, cousins (1st - 10th selectable), etc., or any combination. Selectable both for the Kinship Report and other Relationship displays. Lots of flexibility...

#14 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

While on the topic of improvements to the Relationship indicator, I can demonstrate that while a grandson back in my ancestry is correctly stated as a 5th cousin 3 times removed, and his father is correctly a 4th cousin 3 times removed, his father and all those further back are not related at all in the lower corner display. That's a problem - right? The Relationship chart is labeled correctly. 

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

Did you run Tools>Set Relationships after adding new individuals or relationships?

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

Yes  Renee, clearing and resetting relationships didn't help. Exiting and restarting the program didn't help. I'm running Version 7.2.1.0 (23 May 2016) on a Windows 10 PC. My database contains 60K+  names if scale could matter.  /Peter

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

I would need to look at your database to be able to tell you why this is happening. If you want to open a support ticket and include a backup with the names of the individuals to look at I can do that.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

Thanks Renee. After an enlightening discussion with Cina in your Support group, it was agreed there were indeed inconsistencies in the reporting by the Relationship Indicator that the development team was already aware of and that there were several ideas currently under consideration for improvements. I appreciate your assistance.

#19 1shellback

1shellback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

Renee - Now that we're getting closer to public release of the new RM version with all the Ancestry integration, can you give us a "sneak peak" into the Relationship corrections & enhancements Cina indicated might be coming too? I still would like to produce a Custom Report with a Relationship Indicator column that includes more direct & indirect relation ships than is currently possible, i.e. wife of 3rd cousin once removed, etc..

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

At this point the only thing the update will include is the TreeShare for Ancestry & Ancestry WebHint features. Nothing has changed in the other areas of RootsMagic. Development will transition over to features and other issues in RootsMagic once its done. The mystery then will be timing of releases.

Renee
RootsMagic