• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

I took advantage of the Christmas discounts and purchased a copy of Rootsmagic for my brother.  I then cloned a copy of my database, pruned out most of my wife's ancestry, and gave this somewhat reduced database to my brother.

As time passes, I expect that our two databases will increasingly diverge.  I'm hoping to find some suggestions here as to how to easily, perhaps programmatically, identify the specific differences between the databases, and to incorporate, as appropriate, some of these differences into the other brother's database.

Any thoughts?

- David P

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

Conceptually, File Compare would be the best tool but its current performance leaves something to be desired.

Another concept might be to add a custom fact "Changes" and use the date field for that of the most recent change, the Description field for the initials of who changed it (or maybe the Place field to hold his or your place), and the notes field to log the changes with dates. That would enable an easy search for persons with that fact type, after the date you last synchronised, filtered by the initials or the place of the person who last edited. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

TomH, thank you for your suggestions.  I'll give them serious consideration.

- David P