• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dbcompton

dbcompton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

When I transfer a source from the local database to Family Tree, the formatting codes are exported through the FT API.

Source template:

<[Name],>< [ArticleTitle_1].>< <i>[Newspaper]</i>>< ([City/State]),>< [Date],>< [Page]><, [Cd]>

What appears in Family Tree:

Marjorie Virginia Beazley, Death Notice. <i>Houston Post</i> (Houston, Tex.), 2 October 1973, p. 18/D

The same source attached to a narrative report looks perfect, so this looks like a buglet.

I'll have to admit that I just began working with RM after migrating my Ultimate Family Tree data via TMG to Roots Magic.  If there is something in the source template that I need to change, please advise.

Regards,

Bruce Compton

Texas

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

It's hard to know exactly what RM should do in this situation and similar situations of data interchange. Even within RM itself, the formatting codes can be a problem. For example, if you do a search within RM for "Marjorie Virginia Beazley, Death Notice. Houston Post> (Houston, Tex.), 2 October 1973, p. 18/D" without the quotes, no match will be found. But if you search for "Marjorie Virginia Beazley, Death Notice. <i>Houston Post</i> (Houston, Tex.), 2 October 1973, p. 18/D" without the quotes, a match will be found. And if you copy and paste the string from a note or a source in RM and paste as the search parameter in RM, the formatting codes will not be included in the pasted string.

Jerry

#3 dbcompton

dbcompton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

Family Tree does not support RM formatting codes, so I advocate that anything in angle brackets in the source data be removed before writing it to the API.

Besides, if I have to edit the data that the API writes to FT, the API isn't doing it's job.  I do not want to review every transaction.  I would prefer to perfect the API transaction so that I don't even have to look.

Regards,

Bruce Compton

Texas

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

Confirming issue noted in tracking system. 

On the Share Data tab click the button "Show on FamilyTree" then you can edit the source to remove the coding.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 dbcompton

dbcompton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

Thanks, but editing every source record loaded via FT API would not be something that I would like to do.

I could remove the formatting from the source templates, but that breaks other things.

This is a code issue that is all on the RootsMagic side.  Is there an enhancement queue where I could propose such a change?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

I already confirmed its in the tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic