11 replies to this topic

#1 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

I seem to have lost functionality of the Help system in RM, its not something I resort to often and haven't used it for several weeks at least. I can call up a list of contents of the Help Topics from the menu but clicking or double clicking any of them just leaves  a blank pane on the right of the help window, any ideas?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

Are you using RootsMagic for Mac?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:23 AM

No using RM 6 on Windows 10 machine.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

You might need to reinstall RootsMagic, since it sounds like your help files maybe corrupted. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

Hi

Sorry for the delay in updating - I did a reinstall (over existing install ie did not uninstall first) but nothing appears to have changed with the help files still appearing to be 'empty'.

Bob

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3259 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

Hi
Sorry for the delay in updating - I did a reinstall (over existing install ie did not uninstall first) but nothing appears to have changed with the help files still appearing to be 'empty'.
Bob

What happens if you use File Explorer to browse into the installation folder for RootsMagic and then double-click directly upon the file named RootsMagic.chm ? (icon looks like a sheet of paper with a big yellow question mark). Does it open to the same 'empty' state (outside of RootsMagic) ?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:56 AM

Hi

I have just tried opening the RootsMagic.chm file directly and the help info is all available as it should be! So it appears to work OK opening it directly, but I just tried opening it from inside RM again and still no info.

Not sure if this points to a proper solution but at least I can now access the help files when I need them, just going off to add a shortcut to the file in my Family History folder.

Many Thanks!!

Bob

#8 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

Not sure if this points to a proper solution but at least I can now access the help files when I need them, just going off to add a shortcut to the file in my Family History folder.

I actually prefer running RM's Help from outside of RM because that way I can have access to both RM and RM's Help at the same time. If you run RM's Help from within RM, you are locked out of RM until you exit Help.

Jerry

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3259 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

I have just tried opening the RootsMagic.chm file directly and the help info is all available as it should be! So it appears to work OK opening it directly, but I just tried opening it from inside RM again and still no info.

Are you running your instance of RootsMagic from the exact same PC as you've installed the program to ? Running the program from a network folder will have security issues because the Help file is being opened via an external or network drive, other than local to the program's installation folder, and that is considered unsafe cross-site scripting (XSS). Typically the only other cause for the symptoms you describe is when a .CHM file has been blocked by Windows because it was downloaded from the Internet rather than being installed by a program's installation routines. To unblock a file like that you would need to right-click on the .CHM in Windows Explorer, select Properties in the context menu, and then Unblock in the dialog displayed. Since you can double-click and run it, sounds like your problem is the former.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:38 AM

I am running RM directly on the 'installation PC' none of my family history files / programmes are 'networked' although all the backups are copied to an external drive.   The PC is a couple of years old and came With Win 8.1 pre installed, I did a clean install of all my software including RM, since then I have upgraded to Win 10.

Jerry makes a good point about running help 'outside of RM' it does sound like it could be easier!

Thanks for your help!

Bob

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3259 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

The conflict might be a security suite, antivirus or malware utilities or just a conflict with some other running program. They often have an exclusion option to not monitor or effect programs entered explicitly into the list. If opening the Help files separately is the way you go ...just keep in mind that the problem for you is definitely not RootsMagic itself.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:35 AM

Just an update to this topic, last night as I turned my PC off it went through a 'windows update' that took ages and concluded with  'configuring windows' when I switched on this morning. Out of interest I just tried running Help from within RM and it now appears to works again! I cannot be sure it was the Windows update that sorted it but it seems likely.