1 reply to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

I'm revisiting a wish here from several years ago with a slightly different slant. Reading the Rootsmagic Facebook Group shows the subject of cleaning data is very frequent and mostly from FTM users wanting to migrate. 

I fully understand how exchanging data back and forth between Ancestry or collaborating researchers creates duplicates through the smallest of changes. One researcher might just decide they do not like "United States of America" on the end of places and do a search and replace to remove "United States of America" and when combined the two databases now have lots of duplicate events which are no longer exact. The same could happen with any collaboration with online or human sources but the result is the quality of our data becomes degraded through duplication. This problem of duplication is on the increase and Rootsmagic do provide a number of data cleaning help utilities so what else can Rootsmagic do for users new and old.

The revisit is of a wish I put forward back around 2010, the wish has so far not been incorporated but my different slant would be to provide the functionality to report these items to a Named Group. New users would be forgiven for missing the Options under Fact List > Print but printing these to a flat report is not very useful. My original wish (see below) was to enable finding these instances in RM Explorer but it would now be better to add them to a unique Named Group for ongoing attention.

TomH wrote a useful query for nearly identical events differing in date, place quality or other and I believe it would also be easy for Rootsmagic to present such events with a user defined time span side by side within the program for reconciling therefore improving data quality.

I am also hopeful the Duplicate Search Merge UI is further enhanced to present more information and decision making powers somewhat in line with the new File Compare UI.

fact-list-find-option.jpg

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

TWO+ years on and I feel the need to revisit this wish for finding within RM Explorer and Creation of a named Group.

With Ancestry and FS interaction I believe duplication of facts with same and near same date is becoming more and more prolific and further help is keeping this under control is very much needed within RM.

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root