• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Spam

Spam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:23 AM

I'd like to see a localized (or localizable) version of RM.

The problem seems to be that various words are directly coded into the binary file. By splitting the binary from a "words file", the community could (at least) provide translations (e.g. Occupation -> Beschäftigung [In German]).

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8768 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Spam

Spam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

I dug a little deeper into the database. It seems that most modifications have to be made to the FactTypeTable by keeping the FactTypeID:

sqlite> .schema FactTypeTable
CREATE TABLE FactTypeTable (FactTypeID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, OwnerType INTEGER, Name TEXT COLLATE RMNOCASE, Abbrev TEXT, GedcomTag TEXT, UseValue INTEGER, UseDate INTEGER, UsePlace INTEGER, Sentence BLOB, Flags INTEGER );
CREATE INDEX idxFactTypeName ON FactTypeTable (Name);
CREATE INDEX idxFactTypeAbbrev ON FactTypeTable (Abbrev);
CREATE INDEX idxFactTypeGedcomTag ON FactTypeTable (GedcomTag);
sqlite> select * from FactTypeTable limit 20;
1|0| Birth |Birth|BIRT|0|1 |1|[person] was born< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
2|0| Death |Death|DEAT|1|1 |1|[person] died< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [person:Age]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
3|0|Christen|Chr|CHR|0|1|1|[person] was christened< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
4|0|Burial|Burial|BURI|0|1|1|[person] was buried< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
5|0|Cremation|Cremation|CREM|0|1|1|[person] was cremated< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
6|0|Adoption|Adoption|ADOP|0|1|1|[person] was adopted< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
7|0|Baptism|Baptism|BAPM|0|1|1|[person] was baptized< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
8|0|Bar Mitzvah|Bar Mitzvah|BARM|0|1|1|[person] celebrated his bar mitzvah< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
9|0|Bas Mitzvah|Bas Mitzvah|BASM|0|1|1|[person] celebrated her bas mitzvah< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
10|0|Blessing|Blessing|BLES|0|1|1|[person] was blessed< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
11|0|Christen (adult)|Chr (adult)|CHRA|0|1|1|[person] was christened< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
12|0|Confirmation|Confirmation|CONF|0|1|1|[person] was confirmed< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
13|0|First communion|First comm|FCOM|0|1|1|[person] received first communion< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
14|0|Ordination|Ordination|ORDN|0|1|1|[person] was ordained< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
15|0|Naturalization|Naturalization|NATU|0|1|1|[person] was naturalized< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
16|0|Emigration|Emigration|EMIG|0|1|1|[person] emigrated< [Date]>< from [Place:plain]>< [PlaceDetails]>.|-1
17|0|Immigration|Immigration|IMMI|0|1|1|[person] immigrated< [Date]>< to [Place:plain]>< [PlaceDetails]>.|-1
18|0|Census|Census|CENS|0|1|1|[person] appeared in the census< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
19|0|Probate|Probate|PROB|0|1|1|[person] had [person:hisher] estate probated< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1
20|0|Will|Will|WILL|0|1|1|[person] signed a will< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.|-1

So maybe it's more "a patch against the database" (keeping the UI in english - which is fine).

If you confirm that it's safe to modify the corrosponding fields in the DB, I'd provide a translation to german.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

You can change the sentence templates to German yourself from the user interface and without using SQLite. Use Lists->Fact Type List. Having done so, there will still be a problem because there is text in narrative reports (and other reports) that is not controlled by the sentence templates. And even in the sentence templates, you will have to do things like [Date:Plain] and [Place:Plain] to avoid getting prepositions in English.

Jerry

#5 Spam

Spam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:49 AM

You can change the sentence templates to German yourself from the user interface and without using SQLite. Use Lists->Fact Type List.

Thank you, Jerry. I didn't see this.

And I'm fine that this does'nt solve the narrative reports, as they are not relevant for me.

However, the request stays the same: become multilanguage.

As Family Tree Maker left the market for Desktop software, many users can be expected to move to RM. And FTM had localized versions.

I'm not saying RM should provide the translations, but I'd like to see the possibility to have your (international) users aka communitiy provide translations. That's a proven method by many open source applications, so why should'nt it work for closed source, too?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

Localization
Shortly after the release of version 4.0, we will be releasing tools to allow the translation of RootsMagic into other languages.  We will provide more information about this then, and will be looking for volunteers interested in helping out with this important project.

From the RootsMagic blog 2008-10-29.

"Shortly" is now approaching 7 years since RootsMagic 4 was released.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

From the RootsMagic blog 2008-10-29.

"Shortly" is now approaching 7 years since RootsMagic 4 was released.

Shortly:  RootsMagic slang for Never.

#8 Oakview

Oakview

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

Why is not possible for RM users to have the option to amend the spelling of built-in Fact types?

Not every RootsMagic uses wishes to be plagued with American English spellings!

#9 Oakview

Oakview

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:10 AM

Would it not be possible for the “Fact Types” list within the RootsMagic program to display user created Fact Types from those created from the built-in RootsMagic ones?

This has relevance when a user imports a GEDCOM data file from another user and wishes to validate any idiosyncrasies that maybe contained within the user’s data.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:13 AM

There is a UK version of RM. I have no experience with the UK version, so I don't know what spelling adaptations might have been made for the UK. You can change any spellings you wish in sentence templates for the built-in fact types. But there remains a problem that not all sentences in reports produced by RM are controlled by sentence templates.

Jerry

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

Would it not be possible for the “Fact Types” list within the RootsMagic program to display user created Fact Types from those created from the built-in RootsMagic ones?

This has relevance when a user imports a GEDCOM data file from another user and wishes to validate any idiosyncrasies that maybe contained within the user’s data.

One could, if one wished ignore the majority of Rootsmagic built in Fact Types in favour of their own different spelling custom facts, I am presuming Oakview has no problem with Birth, Marriage and Death spellings. If I am understanding your post correctly I actually work in reverse returning many user defined facts, which have been created with little forethought, to Gedcom standard facts, those built in ones in Rootsmagic and the STANDARD. If every user created their own version of events for their own preference and reasons then exchange of data on any standard level will become pretty impossible.

There is a UK version of RM. I have no experience with the UK version, so I don't know what spelling adaptations might have been made for the UK. You can change any spellings you wish in sentence templates for the built-in fact types. But there remains a problem that not all sentences in reports produced by RM are controlled by sentence templates.

Jerry

Jerry, it's the same program, the only difference is it gets marketed with some UK specific bundled CD's

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root