2 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:56 AM

As Media collections grow at an ever increasing pace I believe it would be very useful and welcome if Rootsmagic facilitated the use of categories for Media. This was a feature FTM used and greatly helps as an additional filter when finding particular record sets like Census, Births, Deaths, Wills, Obituaries etc.

It would simply involve another field in the Media Table and should allow custom user entries.

I do hope this is considered for the next version release.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

Very honestly, I probably wouldn't use such a feature if it existed because the existing Search capability in the Media Gallery provides me with the same functionality because of my naming conventions. So I would probably just continue to search for census, wills, etc. as I do now.

A related improvement I would like to see is that the search be hot, and that it would be applied as you type each letter of the search. Searching Source Templates already has this kind of a hot search.  Actually, the way searching in Source Templates works, it's more of a filter than a search, and the filtering capability is great.

Indeed, there are a lot of places in RM where I would love to see such a filtering capability. For example, I would like to be able to type S M I T H (except lower case and without the spaces) at the top the RM Explorer index to get a list of all the names that start with "s", then all the names that start with "sm", then all the names that start with "smi", etc. and the filter would be applied live as I type the letters. This would be a true filter so that non-matching names would no longer be in the list if the filter were applied. The Source List,Fact List, Place List etc. could all greatly benefit from such a capability.

Of even more benefit would be if I could change media lists to List mode instead of Thumbnail mode and if it would then remember my setting forever (or until I changed it back), and if it would show the red x for broken links in List mode. That simple change would really be something to write home about. As things stand, I've come to use Tom's RMTrix program to list my media most of the time instead of using RM.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

Very honestly, I probably wouldn't use such a feature if it existed because the existing Search capability in the Media Gallery provides me with the same functionality because of my naming conventions. So I would probably just continue to search for census, wills, etc. as I do now.

A related improvement I would like to see is that the search be hot, and that it would be applied as you type each letter of the search. Searching Source Templates already has this kind of a hot search.  Actually, the way searching in Source Templates works, it's more of a filter than a search, and the filtering capability is great.

Indeed, there are a lot of places in RM where I would love to see such a filtering capability. For example, I would like to be able to type S M I T H (except lower case and without the spaces) at the top the RM Explorer index to get a list of all the names that start with "s", then all the names that start with "sm", then all the names that start with "smi", etc. and the filter would be applied live as I type the letters. This would be a true filter so that non-matching names would no longer be in the list if the filter were applied. The Source List,Fact List, Place List etc. could all greatly benefit from such a capability.

Of even more benefit would be if I could change media lists to List mode instead of Thumbnail mode and if it would then remember my setting forever (or until I changed it back), and if it would show the red x for broken links in List mode. That simple change would really be something to write home about. As things stand, I've come to use Tom's RMTrix program to list my media most of the time instead of using RM.

Jerry

I can do that also Jerry through my file naming but it is an easy addition which may help many others with less disciplined file naming techniques.

Nice reminder from you on those other areas where continuity does not exist allowing "hot searching" the Place list would be a big one for me requiring filtering. And also a nice reminder of how frustrating not to be able to filter the Media Gallery in RM just to show those files with broken links.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root