• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:25 AM

Hi all.  I am new to RM, using on windows 8.1 desktop, large screen. 

At times, I will be looking at a common RM screen, say a pedigree view, and neither my mouse nor my keyboard will interact with anything on the screen, including the upper right corner "red X box" for closing the program.

Invariably, this is caused by another screen being open and awaiting a response from me.  The problem is that this waiting screen is not visible to me, so I can't act.

I can get out of this problem by going down to the taskbar at the bottom of my windows desktop, right-clicking on the RootsMagic icon, and selecting "close window".  Rather than close the program completely, this action brings up the previously hidden screen.  I can act on this screen, then proceed with my work without closing RM completely.

My question:  although I have found a workaround, am I using the program incorrectly, both to get in this jam in the first place, and in not having a more elegant way to get out of it?

Thanks for any ideas or tips,

Leander

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:38 AM

I have experienced the same thing and consider it a bug. I have no better suggestion for tickling the hidden window into view.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3823 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:18 AM

This also happens to me. It certainly feels like a bug. However, I wonder if maybe it is a Windows bug rather than an RM bug, and that maybe there isn't anything that RM can do about it. I don't know for sure.

What's happening is sometimes called a pop-under window, where a pop-up window appears under the window that it's supposed to pop up over. Until I realized what was happening and figured out a workaround, I used to have to shutdown RM from Windows task manager as the only way to get around it.

The reason I think it may be a windows bug is that I sometimes get the same error from other programs. Here is an example. I have a C++ program that I wrote that creates a report file at the end of a run. The report file is a .TXT file that I look at with Notepad++. I leave Notepad++ open looking at the file while I'm running my C++ program. (I go back and forth between running the C++ program and looking at the report file with Notepad++). At the end of running my C++ program, Notepad++ produces a pop-up window that tells me that the file I'm looking at has been changed and asks me if I want to load the newer copy. My answer to the question is always yes. The problem is that the pop-up window produced by Notepad++ sometimes appears as a pop-under rather than as a pop-up. So it appears like Notepad++ is locked up, but it really isn't locked up. It's just waiting for a response to what it thinks is a pop-up message. The solution (if I recognize what has happened) is to click on the Notepad++ icon in the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen (both left click and right click seem to work just fine).

The only difference in the two problems is that the problem with the RM pop-under window is rare and the problem with the Notepad++ pop-under window is common. It happens maybe 10% to 20% of the time that I run my C++ program. Therefore, with my C++ program the problem happens often enough that I can be sure that I'm not really doing anything differently when it happens as opposed to when it doesn't happen. The RM pop-under is so rare that I always suspect that maybe I did something different. But I don't think I'm doing anything different with RM when I get the pop-under than I do when I get the pop-up. There just has to be a bug, and maybe it's a Windows bug instead of an RM bug. If it's a Windows bug, then the only thing I can think of that RM could do would be to throw up a non-modal window instead of a pop-up window. But even that is not necessarily under RM's control because a lot of pop-up windows occur as the result of file activities such as File->Open. So I don't know. Somebody much more knowledgeable than me about the Windows API needs to consider this  problem.

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit in case that makes any difference - and on the most current version of RM. But it has happened for years on every version of RM that I have ever run.

Jerry

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

Win7 64-bit Home Premium with RM 7.0.11.0

When in an Edit Person screen, entering info, I often use Ctrl+T to open the Character Map. Sometimes (don't have a %age) the map pops under the RM screen. Easiest way to fix it is ESC to close the Character Map, then Ctrl+T to re-open it. On the second open, the Character Map seems to always land on top. If there's a pattern to this behavior, it seems to be related to how soon after opening the Edit Person screen I hit Ctrl+T. Its a small annoyance that has been happening for several RM versions, so I'm so used to it that the ESC Ctrl+T correction is nearly automatic for me. And I've occasionally wondered, is this an RM issue or a Windows issue?

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

This also happens to me. It certainly feels like a bug. However, I wonder if maybe it is a Windows bug rather than an RM bug, and that maybe there isn't anything that RM can do about it. I don't know for sure.

Just to widen the scope from specific versions of Windows, I also see this problem very occasionally and I'm running RM under CrossOver on a Mac. So, RM or Windows?

#6 mleroux

mleroux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

My experience is that a program can make a call to the .net API and say to open a dialog/window and can say where (position on screen) then it is up to windows. Because all windows in rm are modal if a new window pops up below the one you are working on then you are out of luck. So I say windows is the culprit, exasperated by rm use of modal windows
My $0.02

Marc
Always learning and loving the discovery process. Focusing on the Huntingdon and Soulanges areas of Quebec - O'Connor/Leroux/Walsh/McCann/Savage/Lalonde/Lauzon

#7 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

Thanks to all 5 of you!  The spectrum of answers suggests I am not doing some newbie thing wrong.  I will live with this quirk until either RootsMagic or Windows grows out of it.

Appreciate the help.

Leander

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hidden, frozen