2 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

I wrote previously on this subject but it seems to have disappeared. When I use WebSearch>Search FamilySearch, the birth date does not transfer over (see FS sample-a). Only when I manually add the birth place  (see FS sample-b ) 

does FS perform the correct carry-over. 

I am using universally recognized places and have also used all four data tools prior to performing the search. I noted that I wrote FS and they said the mechanics as to what is carried over is the responsibility of RM. They wrote:

----------------------------

Thank you for contacting the FamilySearch support team. Your support case #01931557 was created because of your concern about the syncing process for using your third-party personal RootsMagic software with FamilySearch.

Please contact the RootsMagic support team to report your problem. Since RootsMagic software certifies to sync with information that can be viewed at FamilySearch, if the process is not working properly, it is the responsibility of the RootsMagic engineering team to resolve any problems.

When a problem has been properly reported, our engineers and the RootsMagic engineers work together to identify and resolve any problems, however, we cannot and do not provide support for any problems that are initiated from another software program. Please review the information in the attached knowledge article that explains our policy regarding third-party software, and which provides a contact link to notify RootsMagic about your concern.

You can view your case details, including the attached knowledge article through your case in the Help Center. You may need to sign into your account to access the article.
<https://familysearch...5003000000ch04R>

This is your original case description:
Family Search will not pull up birth place

If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us directly by phone or chat. Click on <https://familysearch.org/ask/help> for details.

We do wish you success with all of your family history efforts.

With Regards,

FamilySearch

--------------------------------------

I don't know if the two screen-shot files transferred but they can be found at: www.hartshorn.us/FS-sample.htm    

#2 ennoborg

ennoborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

The old subject is still there, in fact, it shows on the bottom of my screen, and FamilySearch is right. It is a RootsMagic thing. I'm using RootsMagic Essentials here, meaning that I can't actually perform a WebSearch, but the RootsMagic screen that I can see suggests that only the person's names and a date range derived from birth and death are used for the search. I assume that, because those are the fields that I can see and edit on screen, in RootsMagic itself. And I think that RootsMagic works right, because adding a birth place to the search right away may limit the search results too much. Besides, why would you expect RootsMagic to search on birth place at all? There's other places, like marriage, residence, and death, that may be just as relevant.

Note that when you use a word like copy or transfer, people will assume that you're complaining about the exchange of data between your tree and the one on FamilySearch, which works right. The real issue is that they probably never understood that you were complaining about SEARCH. It's only now that I read WebSearch in your new message, and see the FamilySearch RECORD Search screen on your site, that I know what you're complaining about. You did not mention that earlier.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

I'm confused why are you using WebSearch to add data to FamilySearch?  The only place you can add data in FamilySearch is Family Tree. The RootsMagic FamilySearch tools are designed to do that. That is where you transfer data back and forth and there will be no issues doing that.

FamilySearch's reply back mentions Third-Party so they also think you are talking about using the FT API with RootsMagic, which is only found in our FamilySearch tools. If you switch and use the right tools as designed you won't have a problem. I'm really not surprised you can't add data to FamilySearch Family Tree using WebSearch.

There is a whole series of videos that demonstrate how to use the FamilySearch tools in RootsMagic.

https://www.youtube....oPUcLVcaEo-pnxM

Renee
RootsMagic