What is correct method to request new features (That rootsMagic will actually listen to)?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_david.harrison_*

Guest_david.harrison_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

Since I can't find an easy way to request new features directly on their web site I chose to submit a Support request ticket, which has been totally ignored. Is that the best way to get their attention? Or is this forum the best way?

I am very disappointed with their ignoring my support ticket, submitted on Jan 10, 2016. At least they could have told me the correct way to request new features, if that isn't the correct way!

How should I request new features in the future?

On the whole the program is quite good (I am a recent convert from Family Tree Maker) but it does need quite a bit of polishing in the UI in several areas. But I find it quite frustrating that it is single threaded and all the Windows are modal, i.e. they have to be closed before you can do anything else.

I want to be able to easily access and edit my source templates whilst I still have my person editor or source citation windows open, but no, you have to close everything in order to go back to change the custom source template if it isn't quite right. That's very time consuming! It indicates a very old fashioned approach to the application programming.

As well as a genealogy hobbyist I am also a professional SW programmer.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

This is the right forum to post enhancement requests. The Support request cannot hurt - presumably, someone will pass it on to the same RootsMagic person who monitors this forum. Renee Zamora will acknowledge or ask for further explanation and confirm that it is on the "enhancement list". It has been on there for some years but repeat requests from new customers can only help to push it along.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

On the whole the program is quite good (I am a recent convert from Family Tree Maker) but do some polishing in the UI in quite few areas. But I find it quite frustrating that it appears to be single threaded and all the Windows are modal. I/.e they have to be closed before you can do anything else.

I want to be able to easily access and edit my source templates whilst I still have my person editor or source citation windows open. but no, you have to close everything in order to go back to change the customs source template if it isn't quite right. That's very time consuming! It indicates a very old fashioned approach to the application programming.

As well as a genealogy hobbyist I am also a professional SW programmer.

I would agree with this, the information available on one screen is limited and there is a lot of jumping about which is frustrating. I have been trying to learn some rootsmagic history by reading these forums and it seems the program has evolved like this with new bits being bolted on rather than integrated. I also read a lot that some features were maybe not completely finished and that the next version will be a complete rewrite so hopefully the development team are up to modern programing methods.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

RootsMagic staff has been overwhelmed by maessages from new users changing from FTM who need help. This is not the usual fast response time.

Renee has said the staff is answering the messages in order received, first to last.

Renee adds any wishes made in any of the social media i.e. this forum or Facebook, etc. and any email and messages sent from RM's website to RM's internal database that tracks user's request for changes to RM.

So even if you don't get an immediate acknowledgement of your message, the wish will not be ignored.

However, it is onkly a request. Whether it will be added to RM is a decission made by Bruce.

#5 Guest_david.harrison_*

Guest_david.harrison_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

I would agree with this, the information available on one screen is limited and there is a lot of jumping about which is frustrating. I have been trying to learn some rootsmagic history by reading these forums and it seems the program has evolved like this with new bits being bolted on rather than integrated. I also read a lot that some features were maybe not completely finished and that the next version will be a complete rewrite so hopefully the development team are up to modern programing methods.

Well, I certainly hope so (that they do a complete rewrite and code and UI modernization) Obviously RootsMagic is heavily database oriented with the RootsMagic application proper sitting on top of an SQL (SQLLite actually) database and it shows in the UI which looks decidedly dated and is single threaded. I agree that it needs a complete overhaul although the core functionality is well thought out.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8637 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:42 PM

Laura's right support has been overwhelmed. I found your ticket and will go over it to see if there is anything additional to add to our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Guest_david.harrison_*

Guest_david.harrison_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

Just to confirm , RootsMagic Support people did answer my support ticket the other day and  both my requests have been added to their enhancement request list.

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:47 PM

Wishes from users sometimes get answered with a better implementation than the one requested.

About July 2008, I had suggested a new feature that I called "Ghost Events." The following is a partial quote from the original request.

"Suppose we had a new option under Tools called for lack of a better term, “Ghost Events.”  These Ghost Events would be added to the Facts and Events table for each person selected just as if you were color-coding relatives.  I am calling them Ghost Events since they would be “Grayed-out.”  Their function would be for visual inspection, not for printed reports.  I could very well be wrong on this subject.  I have noticed that some RootsMagic users create a very complicated scheme of colors for permanent use.  Since there is a “Clear all colors,” all of this work to create a set of colors can be dumped in an instant.  [Of course you could use your backups file to get the colors back, if you had not done anything else since the last backup.]  I view colors as a transient setting.  It is possible that my concept of Ghost Events should be treated in the same manner.  If they were regular events, they could appear in reports.  If you did not want them in the reports, just clear the Ghost Events and then create the reports."

As nearly as I can determine, I consider this request fully satisfied with a better implementation by the "Timeline" feature introduced in RootsMagic Version 5 about December 2011.

#9 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

July 2008 > December 2011.

Three and a half years.  You're one of the lucky ones.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

As nearly as I can determine, I consider this request fully satisfied with a better implementation by the "Timeline" feature introduced in RootsMagic Version 5 about December 2011.

Who knows whether your "Ghost events" led to the Timeline View other than the RootsMagician? I wondered whether it was more than coincidence that Timeline View followed by a year the publishing of the All Facts for Persons and the subsequent Lifelines SQLite scripts to which it bears fundamental similarities.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.