• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lrrichey

lrrichey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

When I first started learning about Genealogy location format was city, county, state, country.

If the city was not known or the city was known but not the county it should be indicated by using the comma ",".  For example if I did not know the county I would list this way city, , state, country. Or if I knew the county but not the city I would list it this way , county, state, country .

In the newer computer programs it seems that the commas are omitted if it is not know. For example county, state, country with no comma to indicate no city, or city, state, country with no comma to indicate the missing county information.

So what is the preferred method of entering the location information?

Thanks

Ray

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

That is pretty subjective. For users putting their database online, enter locations in the online hosts preferred format.

Thst can be a problem if you are putting your database online in more than one web site and they have different format standards.

I don't put my database on web sites so my personal place standard is, [Cemetery, Church, etc.], City, [County name] County, State.

I only add the country if the place is out of the United States of America.

I don't use Place Details.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

Like Laura, I do not post my database anywhere online. When I know a city but not county, I list it as "city, _____ county, state, country". I think this is more clear than the use of extra commas, and it has the advantage of sorting the unknown counties together, giving me a clear indication of where additional research would be helpful. I also don't use Place Details, so some of my place names get lengthy, but in the reverse-sorted index they make a lot of sense to my readers.

#4 geomouchet

geomouchet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

I do it like Laura too, except that I put the name of the church, cemetery, etc in "Place details".  That works well for street addresses too.