17 replies to this topic

#1 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

I need some help with the fact sentence for marriages coming across correctly in the Narrative Report. The fact sentence is set as follows:

<i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b> and <i><b>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b> were married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:Short]>.<?[Desc]|< [Couple:HeShe:Proper]>< were [Desc].>|>

The problem is that in many cases the name of the primary person is being cut off at the beginning of the sentence and it does not format to bold or italic. Using myself as an example, my first name is totally cut off along with the first part of my middle name. What is really odd is that this issue is completely random, it doesn't happen with everyone and sometimes it will come across okay for one spouse and messed up for the second, or visa-versa. Also, the rest of the sentence comes across the way it is supposed to, including the full name of the spouse (bold and italicized). I've tried everything that I can think of to fix the problem:

• Overwrote the fact sentence for myself personally, then tried to reset.
  • Re-entered my name.
  • Deleted and re-entered the marriage fact.
  • I exported the file to a new file.
  • I created a completely new file using a Gedcom imported from FTM14.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kari

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

I would nest the formatting differently:

<i><b> followed by </b></i>

Your sentence has the second pair reversed.

#3 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

I would nest the formatting differently:

<i><b> followed by </b></i>

Your sentence has the second pair reversed.

Thanks for the tip, but still didn't work.

Kari

#4 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

I thought maybe it had something to do with the installation or a corrupt program file, but just installed RM7 on a different computer and still doing the same thing.

Kari

#5 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

One more thing, I just created a completely new family tree, entering (not importing) information and its still doing it. I also should have noted in my first post that when I first edited the fact sentence several months ago, it worked fine. This is a fairly new issue.

Kari

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

The problem isn't the database. The problem is the sentence template.

Your sentence is:
<i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b> and <i><b>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b> were married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:Short]>.<?[Desc]|< [Couple:HeShe:Proper]>< were [Desc].>.

You have:
<i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b>
<i><b>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b>

You need more opening and closing arrows:

<<i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b>>
<<i><b>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b>>

The first < and last > tells RM to print <i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b> for that field.

My Sentence:
<<i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b>> and <<i><b>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b>> were married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [ Place]>.<?[Desc]| [Couple:Caps] were [Desc].>

Breakdown:
<<i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b>> and <<i><b>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b>> were married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [ Place]>. prints the date, place details, place sentence. Fields that have no entries are not printed in the sentence.

<?[Desc]| [Couple:Caps] were [Desc].> prints the sentence with the description if there is an entry in the description field.

Every < has to have a closing >. Sometimes, when you are using switches in a sentence template, you need to add extra >'s at the end of the sentence.

#7 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

You need more opening and closing arrows:

<<i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b>>
<<i><b>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b>>

The first < and last > tells RM to print <i><b>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b> for that field.

Laura:

Can't believe I missed that or that the sentence ever worked right in the first place. Unfortunately, it still isn't working right. Doing the same thing.

Kari

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

My sentence worked fine for the person I was experimenting with. Unfortunatly, I didn't check how other couple's marriage facts printed out. A good reminder for me to do a thorough check when experimenting.

I don't have time to experiment more tonight, but, you might try putting the date first since the Spouse is being printed in italics.

Experiment with using [Husband] and [Wife] instead of [Person] and [Wife].

Experiment woth just using Italics or Bold not both.

Copy your main database and give it a new name. Experiment in the new Play database.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:41 AM

I think this is what you were after:

<<b><i>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b> and <b><i>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b> were married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:Short]>.<?[Desc]| [Couple:HeShe:Proper] were [Desc].|>>

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

I think this is what you were after:

<<b><i>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b> and <b><i>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b> were married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:Short]>.<?[Desc]| [Couple:HeShe:Proper] were [Desc].|>>

I experimented with this sentence in RM 7.0.11.0 and it baffles me. It would not print the Given name correctly for the Person. Adding or subtracting formatting codes didn't matter. Using [Couple] caused the "and" to be bolded, which the original poster seems to be trying to avoid (and I agree would be nice). I ended up using this variation:

<b>[Couple]</b> <#Couple#was|were> married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:Short]>.<?[Desc]| [Couple:HeShe:Proper] were [Desc].|>

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

My marriage sentence using Husband and Wife works when I added Italics and Bold.

Note: I put <i> <b> to open the formats and had to close them with </b></i> in the opposite order.

My sentence:
<?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails]|<%<i><b>[Husband]</b></i> married <i><b>[Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]</b></i>>|<i><b>[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]</b></i>> married <i><b>[Husband]</b></i>>< [desc]>< [Date:DayofWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>|<%,<i><b>[Husband]</b></i> and <i><b>[Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]</b></i>>|<i><b>[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]</b></i>> and <i><b>[Husband]</b></i>>'s marriage date and place are not known>.

This sentence prints Husband married Wife if the husband is the first on the Narrative report.

It prints Wife married Husband if the wife is first.

If there is no data entered for the fact, it prints, marriage date and place are not known with the names of the husband and wife order the same as above.

Value switch: <?[Date][Desc][Place][PlaceDetails

Value switch True is a Gender switch: |<%<i><b>[Husband]</b></i> married <i><b>[Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]</b></i>>|<i><b>[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]</b></i>> married <i><b>[Husband]</b></i>>< [desc]>< [Date:DayofWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>

Value switch False is a Gender switch: |<%,<i><b>[Husband]</b></i> and <i><b>[Wife:given]< [Wife:surname]</b></i>>|<i><b>[Wife:Given]< [Wife:surname]</b></i>> and <i><b>[Husband]</b></i>>'s marriage date and place are not known>.

I didn't experiment with what happens when a person has no given name or surname.

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Now that I am sitting at home and in RootsMagic itself, I see the buggy behavior where having that templating for the second sentence removes leading text from the report output, when the Description field is enabled but empty.

I quickly determined that adding enough leading spaces to match all the dropped characters brings all the text back, but that is an unworkable hack because if the Description field has content, the leading spaces reappear. Embedding that same amount of carriage returns also brings back the text, albeit shifting it down many lines. I'm still trying to figure out the proper usage for the second sentence (which causes this).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

Tom, what choice for Paragraphing options for a Narrative report did you choose. Does that make a difference in having to add returns to the sentence?

Mine was set to New paragraph after every fact. I am wondering if choosing Keep fact sentences in same paragraph would make a difference.

I am not where I can try it.

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

Hi Laura, if you were addressing me... No, those reporting options do not seem to make any difference.

Each half seems to work independently, but together (even if reversed in order) the two sentences result in dropped leading characters from the Principal's name field when the Description field is empty. One of the elements in the second sentence template must need to be represented differently in some way.

This is exactly what the OP wanted, so that any sentence parts related to blank fields would not appear in the final sentence output: 

<<b><i>[Person:Given:Surname]</i></b> and <b><i>[Spouse:Given:Surname]</i></b> were married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:Short]>.><?[Desc]| [Couple:HeShe:Proper] were [Desc].>

Despite the Preview showing things as wished, the actual report generation does not match the preview. Adding enough leading spaces brings the lost characters back.

Perhaps tomorrow Renee will offer a solution or have to add this as an issue.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#15 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

Kevin, sorry I called you Tom.

Thanks for the answer.

Tomorrow is a Federal holiday so we may not see Renee until Tuesday.

#16 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

Er, Yep ;-)

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

I don't have a suggestion to add, but I have passed this onto development to look at as an issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:42 AM

Thank you all for your help. :)

Kari