Photo

Why are there two places for adding media to facts? - Citation media files do not transfer to myrootsmagic website.

Media facts website citations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 david.harrison

david.harrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hello, I am a new RootsMagic 7 user, having recently come from Family Tree Maker. I have been adding my media files that support my source citations such as Images of birth indexes, marriage certificates etc. using the media tab in the source window. So these media files are attached to the citations, not to the fact directly. Now I discover that none of those media files are visible when I publish my RM 7 Tree to my myrootsmagic web site. But if I now attached the media files directly to the fact in the person details window, they do get pushed up to the website.

So I have two questions:

1) Why are there two different places to add media to a fact? Surely a fact without a source citation is no real fact at all, so why allow media to be attached directly to a fact at all, rather than force all media to be attached to the source citation(s) that support that fact?

2) Why don't my citation media files show up on my myrootsmagic web site?

This is very frustrating , not to say the least, very confusing.

Thanks.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

You can tag Media to the person, family, event [fact], Master source, Source detail, or Place.

It s user's choice. You can even tag a media to all of them if you want to.

So tag media files to the person so it shows on the myRootsmagic web site and also tag it to Source details if you want it there also.

You can get a report of where media files are tagged, Reports, Multimedia list.

#3 david.harrison

david.harrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

Ok, that's part of the steep learning curve with RM 7. I didn't understand about media tags. At first it seemed very clumsy but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Now that I have tagged the specific media file to the birth event, for example, then I can see that media file on the website.

Thanks for your help.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

You are welcome.

I had the same learning curve when tagging Media files was added to RM, but, I liked it after I got used to it.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:16 PM

I'm a little puzzled. I created a one person database with a death certificate connected to the death fact as an image (not as a file as I usually do and not to the source as I usually do). I uploaded the database to myrootsmagic.com. I can't find the death certificate. Where am I supposed to be looking?

Jerry

P.S. I added an image to the one individual and deleted and rebuilt the Web site. The image showed up. I've not played around very much with Publish Online, but I was interested to read earlier in this thread about tagging images to a fact. Is that supposed to work on Publish Online or not?