• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

I can't find a marriage table like that in Legacy Family Tree and now I can't find a way to search on the marriage record number like that reported in the marriage list, am I missing something? The marriage list does not print record numbers so there seems to be some break in connection or I am looking in the wrong place, please help.

I do hope rootsmagic bring in reports you can click on to move to where you want I am really missing this from family tree maker.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1682 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

I can't find a marriage table like that in Legacy Family Tree and now I can't find a way to search on the marriage record number like that reported in the marriage list, am I missing something? The marriage list does not print record numbers so there seems to be some break in connection or I am looking in the wrong place, please help.

I do hope rootsmagic bring in reports you can click on to move to where you want I am really missing this from family tree maker.

To find the marriage list report Go to 

Reports

List

Marriage List

Make sure to Check the 5th box which says,

Print Marriage Record Number   [which is not used for a search possibility in RM]

FYI  I have never had to use the marriage record number in RM since I started with FO then RM.

Yes I did FTM and others. 

RM prints the Marriage Record number on this Marriage list and sometimes I will find it on other reports. 

How do I find the couple, by surname then given. Even searching in the person # is only the record number created by RM. 

Each software package for genealogy does different things.  Lot of FTM features has/had is not a high point or even in other software packages. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8637 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

The Marriage List is the only place the Marriage Record Number will show in RootsMagic. On the Report Settings check the option "Print marriage record number".  There isn't anyway to search by marriage record number inside RootsMagic. It's just a random number generated by the program. You will find that the marriage record number you had in Legacy may not be preserved inside RootsMagic as the same number .

The best thing to do if you depend on marriage record numbers is to create a fact just for those numbers. Then you will never lose them regardless of what program you are using. You could use the "Reference Number (REFN)" fact and select it as the "number to display after name" under File Options. Whatever fact you setup to hold the Marriage Record Number can be added to the People View as a column, by customizing that view. Then you can click on the column header to sort the numbers in chronological order.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

On the Family Group Sheet setup screen, you can check or uncheck Print MRIN in title.

#5 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

The Marriage List is the only place the Marriage Record Number will show in RootsMagic. On the Report Settings check the option "Print marriage record number".  There isn't anyway to search by marriage record number inside RootsMagic. It's just a random number generated by the program. You will find that the marriage record number you had in Legacy may not be preserved inside RootsMagic as the same number .

The best thing to do if you depend on marriage record numbers is to create a fact just for those numbers. Then you will never lose them regardless of what program you are using. You could use the "Reference Number (REFN)" fact and select it as the "number to display after name" under File Options. Whatever fact you setup to hold the Marriage Record Number can be added to the People View as a column, by customizing that view. Then you can click on the column header to sort the numbers in chronological order.

This is crazy, no individual numbers are reported on the marriage list and the marriage record number is just some random thing! so ho do you move to the partnership you want if you have several John and Jane Does? Legacy have a marriage list or table you can work through and in FTM you could click in the report to move to the couple you want, surely this must be a hole in the program

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Look at Search, Family list.

The third dropdown menu lets you choose whether the list is sorted by Father, Mother, or Date.

Hkghlight someone on the list and start typing the Surname. If you have chosen Father, the list will move to the Father's surname. If you chose Mother, typing the surname will take you to the Mother's surnames.

In the right pane, it shows the Father, Mother and Children with their Record numbers.

You can Edit the Father or Mother' record.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

Search > Family List > select father, mother or date as the sort key > browse to the Does and select the couple. Then open Edit Person for the father/husband/partner or for the mother/wife/partner. 

aaah, Laura and I doubled and she did the better description, as usual...

Edited by TomH, 15 January 2016 - 03:40 PM.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

Thank you Laura and TomH, that is exactly what I was looking for, I really miss being able to select from reports like in FTM

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

We will see what reports are in RM 8 since reports are being rewritten for that version.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

I developed another script picking up the notions of putting the MRIN in a Reference Number fact and of multiple codes in the one fact. I don't know that it is useful and discovered after I had done so that I had developed a script a couple of years ago that added a custom fact for each MRIN - two different approaches to exposing the MRIN within RootsMagic 4-7:
RIN MRIN - add Reference Number fact to all persons (new)
Facts - Add custom MRIN event to each family (2013)

Here's a screenshot of the results from the new one:
REFN_MRIN.jpg

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

Thank you