• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

I have entered a lady who appeared on a census return and also 5 other people who where in the household. The other 5 people were noted as nephews and neices so I entered them individually in the database and linked them as sharing the census. Firstly no obvious icon appears on the edit person screen of the householder to show the event is shared, this would be useful. A more important question is where do these nephews and neices print out? I have tried individual report and narritive report and they do not get a mention.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

When you Shared the event did you "Add a person" using "Choose person from database" or "Just type a name of person"?

When you added the Role did you also create a source template for that role?

This video my help you understand how they work

Introduction to Shared Events in RootsMagic

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

The part of the report about the lady who appeared on a census return is typically gonna be the place where those sharees will appear. You've added them to her event, not added an event to each of them (though you can... and make her a sharee in each of their events).

NOTE: they can either be folks from within your database or folks not in your database

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

On any of the people involved in a Shared fact, highlight a fact, look in the right pane unfer [Fact] details. You will see a Share button. If the fact has not been shared it will say Share this fact to the right of the button. If the fact has been shared, it will say [number] people share this [Fact name] fact.

On a Sharee's Edit person screen or Timeline view, there will be a green icon with a white arrow, and the fact name under the Fact column in the left pane.

There is no green icon on the Principle's record.

On the Edit pereon screen, you can select Options and check or uncheck Show shared events for that person.

On the Timeline view, you can go to Options and check or uncheck Show shared events. The choises made on this noption screen applies to everyone's Timeline view until the options are changed.

Shared events for Sharee's only print in a Narrative report.

Only the Principle will show up in other reports or searches.

#5 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

On any of the people involved in a Shared fact, highlight a fact, look in the right pane unfer [Fact] details. You will see a Share button. If the fact has not been shared it will say Share this fact to the right of the button. If the fact has been shared, it will say [number] people share this [Fact name] fact.

I have done this and the people are in the database rether than just type a name they still dont appear in narrative or individual reports for the lady in question who I believe is the principle or sharee.

On the Edit pereon screen, you can select Options and check or uncheck Show shared events for that person.

I think some indication here would be useful

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

It is pretty obvious thaf if you click on an Option button, you will have some choices to make.

Pressing the F1 function key on the keyboard on most screens will bring up The Help file with an article pertaining to that file already selected.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

For the Principal's narrative to include the list of other people who share that fact, you must customize the fact sentence to include the field [OtherPersons].

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.