• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:59 AM

Having tried this, I always seem to end up with reports that run to many, sometimes hundreds, of pages. They seem to pull up nearly every record in the file. Am I missing something?

Is there (or should there be) a filter so as to select only the records that contain a specified field meeting specified criteria, eg is not blank? The options button only allows a fairly basic sort on up to 3 fields.

It would also be useful if there were  'print' options to output in different formats, not just to a physical printer.

An option to output to a CSV file would also be particularly useful (printing to a PDF file is already available in some versions of Windows) as this would allow import to other products like Excel with more sophisticated sorting and analysis functions.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:26 AM

Open the Custom report screen. Press F1 to bring up a Help article for Custom report. Close the Help file to continue.

On the Custom report screen where you pick which report to print, there is a droo down menu. The default choice is Everyone. Open the menu and choose Select from a list or a Group.

After you use Select people to filter who is included in the report or a Group, highlight the Custom report you want to use in the right pane.

Ebery time you see a down arrow on any screen in RM, it is a droo down menu. The menu label is usually the first choice on the list.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

It would also be useful if there were  'print' options to output in different formats, not just to a physical printer.

would also be particularly useful (printing to a PDF file is already available in some versions of Windows) as this would allow import to other products like Excel with more sophisticated sorting and analysis functions.

Nearly all RM reports (maybe all) can be saved to various file formats. It may not be all the different file formats you want, but the option is there.

You first "Print" the report, which doesn't really print anything but rather generates the report internally and there is an internal RM viewer. From the internal RM viewer, you can really print the report or you can save it to a file. My best recollection is that if you save a custom report to a text file, the fields are tab separated. You can use the tab separation to load the text file into Excel.

Jerry

#4 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

Nearly all RM reports (maybe all) can be saved to various file formats. It may not be all the different file formats you want, but the option is there.

You first "Print" the report, which doesn't really print anything but rather generates the report internally and there is an internal RM viewer. From the internal RM viewer, you can really print the report or you can save it to a file. My best recollection is that if you save a custom report to a text file, the fields are tab separated. You can use the tab separation to load the text file into Excel.

Jerry

Thanks - I was trying the 'Print' button rather than the 'Save' button!

This may solve my problem of filtering unwanted records from reports as I can import to a spreadsheet and resort there.

#5 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

Open the Custom report screen. Press F1 to bring up a Help article for Custom report. Close the Help file to continue.

On the Custom report screen where you pick which report to print, there is a droo down menu. The default choice is Everyone. Open the menu and choose Select from a list or a Group.

After you use Select people to filter who is included in the report or a Group, highlight the Custom report you want to use in the right pane.

Ebery time you see a down arrow on any screen in RM, it is a droo down menu. The menu label is usually the first choice on the list.

Thank you.

It is possible to filter the contents of reports according to people, but it would seem not according to the contents of other fields (or lack of them). The sort of thing like 'list all people baptised in place XXX sorted by date'. Whichever way I try this, I gets lots of incomplete lines where one or other field is present, and reports running to 100+ pages.

I will have a go at exporting a report into Excel and then fine tuning the filter and sort there - having been pointed in the direction of how to do this.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

It is possible to filter the contents of reports according to people, but it would seem not according to the contents of other fields (or lack of them). The sort of thing like 'list all people baptised in place XXX sorted by date'. Whichever way I try this, I gets lots of incomplete lines where one or other field is present, and reports running to 100+ pages.

I will have a go at exporting a report into Excel and then fine tuning the filter and sort there - having been pointed in the direction of how to do this.

The only fields that are present in the final Custom report are the column headers you create and the fields you add to the form and then they are presented sorted upon the fields you choose.

The only people that are included are either everyone in the database or some subselection of people:

When you first change <People to include:> in Report Settings screen to <Select from list>

- the Select People screen opens and then you can click <Mark group> button

-now choose <Select people by data fields> and configure the fields you want it to search in... ...for your criteria:

<Baptism> <place> <equals> some exact place name string (eg. city, county, state)

OR <Baptism> <place> <contains> some substring portion of a place name (eg. first word of county name)

OR <Baptism> <place details> <equals> some exact place details name string (eg. Calvary Baptist Church)

OR <Baptism> <place details> <contains> some substring portion of place details name (eg. Hospital)

All individuals in the database that match the criteria of your select statements become checkmarked and included in the report. Then, the Custom report criteria is extracted from that pool of data (ie. only given name, surname, birthdate, death date or whatever)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Charles640

Charles640

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

This discussion was easy to find and answered most of my questions on how to create a custom report.  Thanks to Gunslinger for starting the question and all who contributed to the answers.

#8 gramssearch

gramssearch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:11 AM

Is there a way to create an X-DNA Match Report? X-DNA comes from the direct female ancestors of both maternal and paternal ancestors. So another way to think of the report would be to list all direct female ancestors of a given person. Thanks! 

#9 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:22 AM

Is there a way to create an X-DNA Match Report? X-DNA comes from the direct female ancestors of both maternal and paternal ancestors. So another way to think of the report would be to list all direct female ancestors of a given person. Thanks! 

I don't think RM can produce this report. You might want to check out Charting Companion from Progeny Software, I believe that would produce the chart you're after.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:35 AM

You can create a group using the filter "Genetic lines of highlighted person" then use it in your report. 

If you want the direct female ancestors select: Mitochondrial DNA Line (mitDNA) and Ancestors of highlighted person

Using Named Groups in RootsMagic

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 gramssearch

gramssearch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

I don't think RM can produce this report. You might want to check out Charting Companion from Progeny Software, I believe that would produce the chart you're after.

thanks, I'm familiar with this program, but would rather not pay the $ for it.

#12 gramssearch

gramssearch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

You can create a group using the filter "Genetic lines of highlighted person" then use it in your report. 

If you want the direct female ancestors select: Mitochondrial DNA Line (mitDNA) and Ancestors of highlighted person

Thanks so much, but X matches are different than mitochondrial. X matches contain direct females from both paternal and maternal.  btw- The video was great and I was able to produce the mitochondrial list.