#1 Mike Donovan

Mike Donovan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

I had been using Roots Magic 3.2.6 on a windows base computer

Last time I looked there was not a Mac version of Roots Magic

I started to use Family Search on-line but have NOT entered all my family information yet

I found out that there is now a Roots Magic 7 for the Mac which I just downloaded

It appears that I can get data from Family Search into Roots Magic 7 and I also think I can get data from Roots Magic 3.2.6 into Roots Magic 7 (but not sure how)

Before I start transferring data - which is the best method to use?

* To transfer from one source only 

OR

* Transfer from one then the other

I am concerned that the data will get confused (duplicates, etc.)

Please advise 

Mike

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:10 AM

RootsMagic will convert a version 3 database or, I think, a Backup, to a RM 7 database.

Create a new database.
Go to Files, Import lists
Choose your main database as the file to import
Fact types - Imports user defined facts and their default sentences. For program defined facts, you will need to reenter any changes you made to the fact including adding roles and sentences for shared fats.
Multimedia Items - imports Multimedia file paths. Go to Tools, Program options, General and make sure Build thumbnails when opening Media Gallery is checked. Open the Media Gallery so RM can create the thumbnails.
Places- imports Place list
Repositories - imports Repositories
Research logs - imports General Research logs not logs linked to people
Source - imports Master sources
Source templates -imports User defined source templates
ToDo items - imports General ToDo's not ToDo's linked to people
To make my template database, i created a new database and modified the facts to be the same as in my main database and that is all that is in my Template database. When I want to import a gedcom or Drag and Drop into a new database, I copy my Template database and do Import list choosing which ever selections I want to import. That way all the lists will be current.3 database. A version 3 database still has all the 33 or so separate files for a database and you have to have all of them. So try converting a backup first.

I use a PC so Mac users will have to explain how and where you put the RM database or Backup on a Mac.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

You need to make sure all 36+ files that make up the RootsMagic 3 database are on your Mac, inside the same folder. The in RootsMagic 7 use File>Import>RootsMagic (version 1-3). If you have a RM3 backup you would need to extract (unzip) the file first so it can be used as database files.

Renee
RootsMagic